Justin9314

Silver Supporter
Feb 21, 2021
Northern Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Hello all,

I am hoping someone could give me some troubleshooting advice. I went to go test our LEDs in our pool yesterday and it tripped the breaker (has worked flawlessly the prior two seasons). I read through a couple of threads on here and many mentioned that a light seal could go bad. So I tested each light individually but each time I only wired up one light it tripped the breaker. So moving down the line, I unhooked everything from the transformer and it still tripped. So then I unwired the transformer so it was just the breaker and it didn’t trip. Safe to assume my transformer is bad somehow? Reading on it, my understanding is that this would be rare but process of elimination points to that? Any other tests I should/can be doing?

Current setup is GFCI breaker (20 amp) > Hayward transformer > 4 CMP leds.

I would be thankful for any thoughts or recommendations.

Thanks

Justin

Justin,

Transformers do go bad, but not very often.

GFCI outlets and breakers are prone to go bad over time.

I suggest that you connect the GFCI breaker to some type of load like a drop light or electric drill and see if it works or the GFCI pops.

It would be good to make sure before you buy a new transformer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Is it the breaker that triggers or is it the GFCI portion?
If it's the breaker that triggers when the transformer is disconnected on the second winding then you have a bad transformer. It is unusual but not unheard of. You can connect a motor, like a hand drill to simulate a similar inductive load. It should not trip, it it does then I think your breaker is bad.
If the hand drill works then it's time for a new transformer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.