LED lighting replacement - covers coming apart

Nov 30, 2009
North Florida
Hi All,

Continuing maintenance on our pool - three years old - in ground.

We have two LED lights - photos show cover and ring that have detached from one - the other is close to the same and both show some rust or corrosion on the multiple screws around the LED container.

Can these be replaced with water in the pool above the level of LEDs, or must the water be drained below that level?

Any recommendations on sourcing/manufacturer would be helpful, as well!

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9434.JPG
    IMG_9434.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 4
We have two LED lights - photos show cover and ring that have detached from one - the other is close to the same and both show some rust or corrosion on the multiple screws around the LED container.

What model lights?

Can these be replaced with water in the pool above the level of LEDs,

Yes.

or must the water be drained below that level?

No.

Any recommendations on sourcing/manufacturer would be helpful, as well!

Sourcing what?

I can't tell what manufacturer or model - 12V, though. May not be a niche, but just the conduit.

Took another photo showing the other part that had fallen off ... the clear plastic cap slips over the light itself, and it looks like the white threaded ring keeps the cap in place ... I don't know what the little holes are for ... if I can figure out the manufacturer of this one will help determine replacement process?IMG_9440.JPG

Last edited:
James - you are a great resource - THANK YOU!

Will check options - like can I buy replacement lights only.

Well, quick check is OEM only for lens and they are inexpensive, but can buy entire replacement kit elsewhere for about $300 - here's the page with the items ... being 12V, not fiber, this looks pretty simple, but not at $300 per.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 2.53.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 2.53.46 PM.png
    122.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: JamesW
LED devices are still operating - one looks a bit discolored. Could replace the entire device, or just the covers.

Ben from PAL Lighting called and we discussed how to remove the devices and their method for attaching. If I want to completely replace, it is a ridiculous amount of money. The trim and lens cover are inexpensive. I may just replace the covers while looking for a better (read lower cost light) solution. Ben was very helpful and called me quickly after initial comms through their website.

The pdf of their catalog won't load - too big, apparently - better photo of the device - looks like counterclockwise removal - will try to see if I can get it out to clean (fingers crossed on whether installer left enough cable in it to do this).

Reactions: JamesW
OK … so I have two PAL lights (see great sleuthing by Jim, above).

Light 1. Discolored screws underneath the clear center cover, outer clear ring still attached, trim ring broken. Works fine.
Light 2. Screws are not discolored. Outer clear ring broken and off, trim ring broken. Works fine.

I unscrewed Light 1 … extremely tight wire cable - was able to get about 6” of wire slack. Cable is NOT detachable, but does have tension clamp as it enters the led housing. When I unscrewed the device got lots of bubbles - is this from water displacing air in the conduit + normal? Anyway … I had hoped to be able to disassemble device and replace components but not enough slack … would I attach pull rope on the transformer end and pull harder to get cable play, then opposite direction to get cable back to the transformer? These would be in conduit, right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.