LED lighting questions

Just recently picked a pool builder and put a deposit down. No lights were included in the basic build. We are building a 720 sq foot pool. 28x36x16x12 L shaped pool.

He recommended one non LED pentair light. So that's what we had him put in the contract. Construction won't start still spring so I have time to change my mind.

He said he's not a fan of LED because nearly everyone he's installed has had leak problems. Not sure if this speaks to his building ability or problems with the niches.

I asked him him about the Jandy Nicheless lights and he wasn't familiar with them. Courious how many I would need to have for this size pool. Was thinking 1 near steps, 2 in the deep in and 1 on the shallow.

Does anyone have any recommendations on these lights?

Welcome to the forum.

Have not heard much about niche leaks on this forum. LED lights, especially the early versions, had hardware failure issues.

I will get someone to respond that can give you more information.

Take care.

Something else to think about if you haven't already, make sure the light or lights don't
point towards your house. Have them installed so they go away from the house.

It can be annoying later on when you have lights on, lighting up your living room
or just looking at your pool at night having a bright light interfering with your view.

Definitely go with LED lights. You will save a lot of money on electricity and the LEDs are more reliable and have a *much* longer life. (You will probably never have to replace it.) I would recommend at least 3-4 LED lights for your pool.

Hi PayneMikej,

There should not be a difference in leaking between a LED light fixture and standard light fixture as in most cases the only difference is the bulb inside the light fixture. I would suggest that the builder use flex pipe when attaching the conduit to the back of the light niche as when the earth settles this is a common piece that cracks and causes lights to leak. The flex pipe is flexible so it can take the shifting earth where ridgid pvc tends to break. Here is a good Video on this topic which can be seen at the 3:30 minute section Leaks in swimming pool plastic light housings1 The PoolLeakAcademy.com 2017 - YouTube

I personally like the PureLine PureColors LED Light Fixtures because the LED lights from Hayward, Pentair and Jandy all use an integrated LED Board which means that if the bulb ever goes bad then the lights that use the Integrated LED PCB Board you need to replace the entire light fixture at roughly $600 per light plus a diffiuclt repair job. The PureColors Light has a replaceable bulb so if the bulb ever goes bad it can be replaced at approximately $150 and it is an easy light bulb replacement.

Seems to me there are a TON of threads on here about failed LEDs. Color issues, sync issues, and flat out failures, then hundreds of dollars in repairs.

I can't change colors, but my single 500w light has never had an issue, and bulbs are readily available. Costs me about 5 cents an hour to burn it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.