Leaving intex empty

Shell52

Jun 10, 2020
Spokane
I have an 18ftx4ft Intex. I bought it used for next to nothing back in March. I have had it up for about 6 weeks. Discovered a leak where a patch had been. I decided to put another patch over it and it actually held until just recently. I had already decided I was going to buy an overlap liner because this liner has seen better days. When I originally filled it on one part of the pool is leaning up against one of my deck posts. I stuck a pool noodle between the post and the pool so nothing bad would happen in the meantime. I had no plans on taking it down for the winter I was just going to winterize it. I obviously need to drain it so I can move it away from the deck a little bit. Since I will be putting a new liner in it in the spring can I just leave it empty over the winter? I live in the Pacific Northwest so we do get snow.

I left mine empty for a couple weeks while I leveled another area for it. I got home from work one day and my pool was upside down and in another location. My neighbor told me he was sitting outside and big wind gust lifted my pool as high as my house, it flew through the air for a few seconds before falling back to the ground. Fortunately, it wasn't damaged, but apparently these pools are light enough to be blown around by wind. I put a few concrete blocks in mine to keep that from happening again. If you decide to leave it over winter, I'd definitely put something in it to keep it stable.

I left mine empty for a couple weeks while I leveled another area for it. I got home from work one day and my pool was upside down and in another location. My neighbor told me he was sitting outside and big wind gust lifted my pool as high as my house, it flew through the air for a few seconds before falling back to the ground. Fortunately, it wasn't damaged, but apparently these pools are light enough to be blown around by wind. I put a few concrete blocks in mine to keep that from happening again. If you decide to leave it over winter, I'd definitely put something in it to keep it stable.
Yeah I have seen some pictures of stuff like that happening. If I do decide to leave it empty I'm definitely going to put something in it to keep it down as it does tend to get kind of windy here sometimes

I live in the Pacific Northwest so we do get snow.
Hey Shell and Welcome !! As I'm sure you're aware, 'snow' and 'blizzard' are the totally different beasts. I wouldn't trust it to survive a big storm.

I would say more snow nothing really blizzard-like LOL after talking to a few people I'm thinking about throwing an air pillow in it and winterizing it. I am hoping the air pillow will do its job and deflect the ice against the walls. Here's a picture of what I'm dealing with and the main reason I wanted to drain it overwinter until it can be moved away from the deck

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200814-190537_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200814-190537_Gallery.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 8
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.