Silver Supporter
Apr 9, 2020
Gold Canyon AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My pool will be unattended for almost 2 weeks. I took my last test today (pool temp 70) with the following results:
FC 4.5 CC 0
pH 8.2
TA 120
CH 750 (! I know!)
CYA 50
For a CSI of 1.01
After a couple of 1/4 drain & fills I got my CYA down to a reasonable number. My CH is still astronomically high due to my fill water having a CH of 625. I had planned to have a plumber connect my pool fill water to my house softened water but I find only my HOT water is softened. I'll work on all that later. I adjust chlorine levels with liquid chlorine only, but I'm sure a puck or two while I'm gone won't add much to my CYA level. My questions is, should I leave with my pH higher or lower than optimal. (my pH from the tap is 7.8). I expect some evaporation in this desert sun even though the temps should be in the 60's/70's. Will anything you see here adversely affect my pH? Do you recommend I take any other measures? I'm new to this pool game. Thanks in advance.

Quickest way to handle this is to bring your FC up to SLAM level, bring your pH down to the 7's and cover with a tarp or cover and go have a good time. Deal with other chemistry issues after you return.

You can either turn the pump off or leave it on depending on how you feel about that.

I've left mine running, covered and with the SWG on for 17 days and come back to sparkling clean water.

Maddie :flower:

Last edited:
Thanks Maddie. I was counting on the chlorine pucks to avoid leaving with a high chlorine level but I suppose that wouldn't hurt. The problem with my bubble blanket is that it tends to blow off if unattended for a while. Once the winds pick up a corner it gets pushed off the pool. I will definitely be leaving the pump on. Thanks again.

No, you would need a real tarp spread over the pool and secured to the decking. You want to close off all light, wind, debris as then since the pool is at a higher chlorine level you have room (time) for it to s-l-o-w-l-y taper down.

A solar cover doesn't cut out sunlight nor stay put edge-to-edge.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: mgtfp
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.