leaving for 14 day vacation whats the highest FC level I can safely do

Oct 10, 2011
I want to keep the pool sanitized during my 14 day absence but I am going to have to turn off the equipment while away. What's the most I can elevate the FC in the pool without harming the liner etc?

Trouble with raising the FC to a really high level is that you'll also lose a lot of FC per day on the first few days. Expect to lose anywhere between 15-30% of the chlorine to sunlight/organics per day (assuming you have a normal level of CYA).

If you absolutely have to leave the equipment turned off for 2 weeks, you may want to raise FC but also leave a floater or two with chlorine tabs. Maybe have a friend or neighbor swing by once a week to make sure the floater(s) doesn't run of out tabs. I know the chlorine pucks add CYA to the water but I'd rather replace some water down the line than risk coming home to a green swamp.

Going to leave tomorrow morning. Hoped it would be ok to run the FC up to some number that would last almost the whole time gone and still have some remnants left. I guess that is not possible or safe to elevate the FC to that high a level? Also thought of putting in algaecide but was cautious about mixing with high FC level? Also floating pucks in the pool dispenser even without circulation?

Going to leave tomorrow morning. Hoped it would be ok to run the FC up to some number that would last almost the whole time gone and still have some remnants left. I guess that is not possible or safe to elevate the FC to that high a level?
No. FC has a half-life. It doesn't lose a fixed ppm per day. If you raised FC to some astronomical number, you'd still lose half in about 6 hours, and another half in another 6 hours, and so on, such that in reality, a week's worth of bleach might gain you one extra day. And a bleached liner.

Try to get some Poly algaecide. Not cheap stuff or copper-based. Pour in the recommended amount and leave the pump on for a few hours while you rush around doing laundry and cleaning out the refrigerator. It's really no different than closing the pool for the winter.

WOW At that level of FC loss there is no hope of even getting through a week! I'm toast. Guess the Green swamp is inevitable then.
No... you have a sporting chance if you add algaecide.

The reason we don't recommend it normally is threefold
1) You need higher FC to kill bacteria and viruses than it takes to kill algae, so if your pool is sanitary, it will also be algae free. You don't need to duplicate it.
2) Algaecide tends to deplete FC.
3) The cheaper algaecides smell bad and foam, and some contain copper which can cause staining and green hair.

If you add algaecide, you might come home to a clear pool. It won't be sanitary until you get the FC level back up to where it should be, but at least it won't be green.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.