Leaves Found In Impeller - Getting Past the Pump Basket-How?

Re: Leaves Found In Impeller - Getting Past the Pump Basket-

Here is my theory for what its worth:

When the pool pump basket gets clogs with leaves the only path for suction is up and over the top of the pump basket...if and only if and I dont know there is an opening over the top of the pump basket and the lid then the suction is powerful enough that it pulls leaves to the "path of least resistance" and that is up and over the top of the pump basket...

So one question I have is, is there a clear path so to speak up and over the top of the pump basket's top rim....a cutaway view may show this...

I am not sure about your question, but agree previous posters that you should not be getting so many leaves in pump basket to clog it. You should get a leaf canister to put in your hose or a skimmer plate so the leaves are caught in the skimmer ... or both.

That basket looks like a different manufacturer than Hayward. The basket looks a little small. The basket mouth might not be making a good seal with the pump inlet. I would try a genuine Hayward basket.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Is it pine needles that get to the impeller? I was warned that pine needles can get past the basket and wind around the impeller. Good reason to use skimmer socks.

Pump_NorthStar_IG_5.othr.jpg

B-218.jpg

spx4000m_600x600.jpg

hayward-northstar-pump-parts-lrg.jpg

From what I can see in this pump's design, if the seal around the U shaped opening is compromised in any way, then debris / leaves etc would be able to go around the basket and enter the impeller chamber.

This can happen either by using a basket having wrong / ill-fitting U shaped opening or it can happen if the basket as a whole gets slightly deformed by pump suction when it is full of leaves / debris etc and water flow through it is severely restricted.

In the latter case (clogged basket), a very strong venturi will form through any leak at the U shaped opening pulling through it and around the basket itself anything from within the basket that can pass through that leak.

From what I can see in this pump's design, if the seal around the U shaped opening is compromised in any way, then debris / leaves etc would be able to go around the basket and enter the impeller chamber.

not sure what seal you are referring to ..... could you call out the seal you are specifying.......is it an O ring or just how the baskets U mates up or lines up with the pump basket....please clarify..thanks!!

No we don't have Pine Needles just small 1 -1 .5" long leaves...

I was having the same problem with pine needles. I was having to clean the impeller every 2 weeks! I have skimmer socks on both skimmer baskets and there was still plenty getting through. I burned up 4 motors before I finally started putting a knee high in the pump basket. The amount of leaves and pine needles that the knee high stops in incredible! I no longer had to clean out the impeller and have had the same motor for 2 years now!

My suggestion to you is to use the knee highs... They do not impede the flow enough to matter. You need to check that basket at least a couple of times of week and clean it out. I just pull the knee high out and throw it away and put in a new one. Problem solved!

Some pump baskets would work with a knee-hi. That pump basket would not work with a knee-hi due to its design. Also, I have found that knee-hi stockings can disintegrate fairly quickly in some cases.

Sometimes pump baskets rise up during operation. You might want to try a rock to make sure the basket stays down.

thetinkerer said:
not sure what seal you are referring to ..... could you call out the seal you are specifying.......is it an O ring or just how the baskets U mates up or lines up with the pump basket....please clarify..thanks!!

What I meant was that water coming from the pool is supposed to enter the basket through that U shaped opening.

There should be some way to ensure that ALL water coming from the pool enters the basket, either by close mechanical tolerance (mating surfaces) between basket and basket container at the point of the U shaped opening, or by some other way like a rubber gasket / foam lining of the basket container around the U shaped opening, or some combination of that.

If there is no "seal" of any kind at that point, then water coming from the pool relies barely on its flow momentum to go through the basket and not around it. So, once the basket becomes more or less clogged, water tends to go more and more around it, and if the basket becomes fully clogged, then a venturi will form at the U shaped opening area, pulling stuff from within the basket.

My guess is that either there should be some kind of "seal" there, or this design was not meant to function with incoming water containing that much debris / leaves etc in the first place.

the above entry makes sense to me....and I think it is what is more than likely happening........its hard to believe that a company like Hayward would put out a product that allows leaves to enter the impeller....

ts hard to believe that a company like Hayward would put out a product that allows leaves to enter the impeller....
I sorta' doubt that's the case.....it could be, I guess, but to produce thousands of pumps with an OBVIOUS defect, would have produced some corrective action by now, don't you think?

no it really doesn't surprise me if that where the case....I've seen defects in design on many of the items I've owned over the years....

I just don't see any other reasonable explaination for what is happening....

The picture seems to indicate a gap around the top of the basket. If you have the type of cleaner that allows both skimming of the floating leaves and cleaning of the bottom, then the floaters may be rising to the top of the pump basket when the pump turns off. Then, the moment the pump comes on, those leaves are drawn in around the top edge of the basket and into the impeller.

This theory assumes that the gap I think I'm seeing in the picture really exists.

As mentioned by another poster, the skimmer should have a vacuum plate with a skimmer basket below to catch the leaves.... or as an alternative, install a leaf catching basket that should be inserted in the hose between the cleaner and skimmer. Both solutions can have issues with drawing in air on some installations, so beware.

Ideally you want to keep those leaves from ever getting to the pump basket since a large number of leaves can clog it quickly and cause the pump to work hard which is tough on the motor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.