Leaking OLD Hayward 6-way...

RASelkirk

Jul 11, 2015
Port Neches, TX
Hi all,

I've got an older setup, used to be sand but converted to DE about 12 years ago. My (side mount) backflush valve is leaking water out the top around the handle. I can afford to replace it, but am having trouble finding the right one. All the ones I've found while searching have the inlets/outlet on opposite sides, which leads me to possibly rebuilding this one. Have not looked into whether a kit is even available for this one. I thought the label I snapped was the part number, but it's only an advisory. If this is not enough info, I'll try and find a part number tomorrow...

Thanks!

Russ

Attachments

• 20191104_132305_resized.jpg
    20191104_132305_resized.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20191104_132314_resized.jpg
    20191104_132314_resized.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20191104_132322_resized.jpg
    20191104_132322_resized.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 5
LOL, once again, this turned into my usual comedy of errors! While my valve was out awaiting replacement, I decided to dump and clean my (DE) filter. I usually do it yearly, but missed last year. Disassembly & cleaning went fine, upon reassembly, the standpipe o-ring had somehow "grown" about 1/4" too large to fit. Leslie's right down the street had one, $13, yup, $13 for a single flamin' 2 1/4"-ish O-ring! Ordered a 2-pak off Amazon Prime for $7, got my new 6-way in, filter now reassembled and ready to install. While vacuuming the work area, I happened to look down at my pump (Super II) and saw a bolt head missing. Now I'm wondering if there was more than one source of leakage. Anyhow, out comes the pump for a teardown and inspection. Bolt head (SS) had rotted off, the stub came out with fingers only. Salt crust all over the motor base & mounting plate. Diffuser gasket looked bad, decided to find a pump kit and go through the whole thing. Ordered the kit off A.P. Two days later it shows delivered to front door, just not to my front door. Neighbors haven't seen it, now I'm fuming mad! Pool's been down over a week and I'm about to have to reorder the kit so I can get it going when, lo and behold, "an angel" drives up with my package. I'd not seen her before & she drove off before I could find out her address. There are still good people in this world! When I swapped my PVC over to the new 6-way, I was careful to put the stubs in the proper ports as they are different lengths. So after replacing the pump, the filter was up off it's pad by an inch and not centered by 3". I know the valve was dimensionally the same, so WTH? I swap the stubs around and it's immediately worse. (Explanation: all my piping has unions for easy replacement, and I had loosened them all). Finally had that "aha" moment and realized the outlet piping had swiveled up above the inlet so had to reswap the stubs on the 6-way back to the right ports and move the outlet down. Now it all fit and is finally back up and running. No leaks!

Being 66, having a bad back, and doing this inside a 6' x 8' room underneath a countertop may have had some bearing...

Russ

• Haha
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.