Leaking at Electrical Junction Box

klow77

Apr 5, 2024
texas
We have a recently completed pool with lights and a light/bubbler combo on the sun shelf. We have begun to have intermittent problems with the “force” of the bubbler. For example, sometimes when the valve for the bubbler is fully open, it is barely breaking the surface of the water. Oftentimes, when the bubbler pressure is low, water is also steaming out of the junction box for pool electrical. My non expert assumption is that there is some pressure issue where the bubbler water is moving backwards through bubbler (which also has a light) to electrical box. This has happened multiple times now (seems to be possibly be related to water level in pool) where bubbler level is low and water is coming out of electrical junction box. Pool builder is telling me it’s normal, but based on the stream of water coming out of box and the fact that one of the fittings in box is already rusting it seems like it’s more than a normal amount. Plus the ground is frequently wet under junction box. I’m wondering what is causing the frequent backflow of water into pool electrical junction box and how it related to water pressure of bubbler. As well as what the recommended fix is? I’d like to understand better what is going on. My pool builder is recommending to just caulk electrical junction with silicone but that seems like it’s treating the symptom to me vs. the cause of why water is continuing to backflow that direction. Appreciate all insight and explanations of what’s happening. I can’t seem to get a video of the water streaming down electrical junction box lines to attach so I tried to take screenshots but it’s a bit hard to see. This problem is intermittent. At times bubbler height and pressure seem normal and water is NOT coming out of box. We are also good about keeping sand filter cleaned and this has continued to happen when filter is at “clean” level.

Attachments

• IMG_8866.jpeg
    IMG_8866.jpeg
    326.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8864.jpeg
    IMG_8864.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8710.jpeg
    IMG_8710.jpeg
    773.5 KB · Views: 12
We have a recently completed pool with lights and a light/bubbler combo on the sun shelf. We have begun to have intermittent problems with the “force” of the bubbler. For example, sometimes when the valve for the bubbler is fully open, it is barely breaking the surface of the water. Oftentimes, when the bubbler pressure is low, water is also steaming out of the junction box for pool electrical. My non expert assumption is that there is some pressure issue where the bubbler water is moving backwards through bubbler (which also has a light) to electrical box. This has happened multiple times now (seems to be possibly be related to water level in pool) where bubbler level is low and water is coming out of electrical junction box. Pool builder is telling me it’s normal, but based on the stream of water coming out of box and the fact that one of the fittings in box is already rusting it seems like it’s more than a normal amount. Plus the ground is frequently wet under junction box. I’m wondering what is causing the frequent backflow of water into pool electrical junction box and how it related to water pressure of bubbler. As well as what the recommended fix is? I’d like to understand better what is going on. My pool builder is recommending to just caulk electrical junction with silicone but that seems like it’s treating the symptom to me vs. the cause of why water is continuing to backflow that direction. Appreciate all insight and explanations of what’s happening. I can’t seem to get a video of the water streaming down electrical junction box lines to attach so I tried to take screenshots but it’s a bit hard to see. This problem is intermittent. At times bubbler height and pressure seem normal and water is NOT coming out of box. We are also good about keeping sand filter cleaned and this has continued to happen when filter is at “clean” level.
NOT normal. Water and electrical boxes dont mix. He either doesnt understand theres water in the electrical box or he’s a word I can’t say in polite company.

Welcome to TFP.

What manufacturer and model bubbler are we discussing?

How deep is the bubbler?

Water flowing out the light conduit is not normal and needs to be fixed.