bryanfaz

May 8, 2020
Madisonville, KY
The valve on the bottom of my above ground pool is leaking. I broke the cap tightening it down once already. But the new cap is leaking also. I’m new to all this plastic Hardware...and am wondering if silicone or some other type of sealant is routinely applied. Of course I used thread tape. very nervous my next wrench turn will crack the cap again. The video attached may be helpful. image.jpg

Honestly it looks cross-threaded. Hopefully the cross-thread is in the cap and you can just replace that if you need to...

EDIT: Maybe not, it could just be an optical illusion.

I agree, it does look that way. The thread tape is the culprit. It’s crooked.

Update. I used the Vaselin, and thought i had the leak stopped. I went out an hour later and it was dripping again. I tried tightening it again, slowly, small increments, and it crossed the threads. May have put too much vaseline. I got it back on track but it will not tighten enough to stop the leak. I’m going to apply more thread tape...and drink a beer. ;)

Reactions: IceShadow
The answer to can plumbers puddy be applied wet is a resounding yes. When I took the cap off there was considerable water exiting the filter. i took the PP aNd made an o-ring with it, placed it in the cap and screwed it on. May not have even used a wrench. That was last night. Hasn’t leaked a drop. Gotta wonder if an o-ring or gasket is missing. Oh well. Thank you all for your patience and wisdom!!!

Glad to hear the plumbers putty worked for you.

My sand filter leaks from the drain and I tried everything to get it to stop. The plumbers putty worked like a charm and if I had tried it first. I would have save a lot of money on many other attempts to get it to stop.

I can imagine. I wondered if I was missing an o-ring or gasket for the cap. But after I broke the first cap, and ordered a new one, it didn’t come with one. Which is proof of nothing really. Ha.

ive moved onto a new leak. The multi-port Valve is leaking out the backwash opening. I can tell this pool project is going include lots of leaks. At least during the early season. Ha.

Thanks again!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.