Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Just opened my pool after it was closed for Canadian winter.

My heat pump seems to have sprung a leak on an internal pipe, it looks like it’s coming out of a hole that supposed to be there, I’m not really sure if it was previously capped or how to address, I would appreciate any help or recommendations.

Praying this is an easy fix.

After closer inspection I’m assuming this is a sensor wire that came off, do you think it can just snap back in or does the whole thing have to be replaced? Image attached.

Here is a video

Attachments

• IMG_1356.jpeg
    IMG_1356.jpeg
    735.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1361.jpeg
    IMG_1361.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
You need to open it up to get your hands and head in there to see what is going on.

One end of the pipe looks to be PVC, is the other end the metal heat exchanger?

There may be an easy fix but first you have to reach it.

You need to open it up to get your hands and head in there to see what is going on.

One end of the pipe looks to be PVC, is the other end the metal heat exchanger?

There may be an easy fix but first you have to reach it.

So for sure it’s the temperature sensor based on the manual and the new photo I attached, it’s just not clear to me if the sensor is broken or if I can just pop it back in and clamp down?

Can anyone point me to any videos on the steps to remove the heat pump housing, I’ve been up and down YouTube and most videos the cover is already off when they are working on it.

So for sure it’s the temperature sensor based on the manual and the new photo I attached, it’s just not clear to me if the sensor is broken or if I can just pop it back in and clamp down?

Can anyone point me to any videos on the steps to remove the heat pump housing, I’ve been up and down YouTube and most videos the cover is already off when they are working on it.
Probably a bunch of 5/16" head screws hold the cabinet together.
That looks like a drywell for a temp probe. Something like here:

You either get into it from the side panels or from the top.

I was just in an AC condensor to replace the compressor. Access was by removing the top shroud and fan to then be able to reach down into the unit.

You either get into it from the side panels or from the top.

I was just in an AC condensor to replace the compressor. Access was by removing the top shroud and fan to then be able to reach down into the unit.
I was hoping to find a good video that goes through it, no luck so far.

I can see how to remove the top but don’t see how I would be able to reach the bottom with my legs dangling in the air and someone holding me lol.

don’t see how I would be able to reach the bottom with my legs dangling in the air and someone holding me lol.

That is sort of what it takes to get into those units.

Working while dangling upside down.

So don't complain about the cost for the service call.

That is sort of what it takes to get into those units.

Working while dangling upside down.

So don't complain about the cost for the service call.
I wasn’t complaining, just asking, I completely value the skill and knowledge of anyone that knows how to service stuff like this.

I got off tha fan blade pretty easily and reached down to pick up the sensor cord that’s no longer attached, it was either one piece before and snapped off or there is something missing, between both pieces , not sure what the fix is, I attached a close up photo of the sensor cord end that disconnected.

Attachments

• IMG_1368.jpeg
    IMG_1368.jpeg
    459.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1367.jpeg
    IMG_1367.jpeg
    713.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1370.jpeg
    IMG_1370.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1371.jpeg
    IMG_1371.jpeg
    384.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
See if the sensor in the pipe unscrews.

Look in the Hp Manual if there is a parts diagram and list showing the sensor.

Did your HP run with the leak it did it show a temperature sensor error?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No I was getting a flow error, I’m guessing the leak reduces pressure to the point of flow error, no sensor error on display.
Then that could be the flow sensor. EDIT - the heater uses a Water Pressure Switch which that is not.

Last edited:
Follow the wire back to the board and see where it is plugged in.

Follow the wire back to the board and see where it is plugged in.
Hi, I opened it up and traced where it’s coming in to, where it comes out, it doesn’t mean much to me but hopefully it will for you, I included photos of where it comes in from, and the schematic.

Attachments

• IMG_1381.jpeg
    IMG_1381.jpeg
    430.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1380.jpeg
    IMG_1380.jpeg
    447.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1375.jpeg
    IMG_1375.jpeg
    553.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
This arrow points to the Water Pressure Switch.

pic 1381 points to a tube. Is that the other side of the WPS?

Is it that tube that broke off from the pipe?

img_1380-jpeg.574471

This arrow points to the Water Pressure Switch.

pic 1381 points to a tube. Is that the other side of the WPS?

Is it that tube that broke off from the pipe?

img_1380-jpeg.574471

Hi,
Yes that’s correct, it’s the tube from the other picture that is on the other side and the other end is the one that broke off the pipe that is now leaking water.

It makes sense now.

That tube picks off water and feeds it to the WPS. That is why you got a flow error with the leak.

I see a clamp on the end.

I don’t know if there was a nipple on the insert into the pipe that this hose clamped onto. And the nipple sheared off.

You need to see if Hayward will talk with you about the details of this area.

Or find a service company or installer who can look at another HP and see how this should fit together.

You need an authorized Hayward service person who Hayward will talk to.

img_1370-jpeg.574225

Wow James, thank you, they even have that piece in stock at my local home depot.

I had my kid help and i vacuumed the entire interior of dead leaves hoping to find the piece that was inserted in that piece before, but no luck.

I like the idea of this fix but was hoping to leave that thread that is inserted undisturbed, i’m really not handy, do you think i will need to wrap plumbers tape or any type of grease around the components to prevent it from leaking after i re-fit it?

Do you see any advantage to using the original fitting as compared to this?

Thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support