Leak from main pipe within the heater

andrew85

Oct 29, 2019
Miami
Hello! First time pool owner here and almost a year into inheriting this pool, it seems we have our first major problem. I walked outside yesterday to find the level down a few inches and one of the jets gurgling. Upon closer inspection near the pump and heater, I found that inside of the heater was a jet of water coming from one of the PVC pipes.

See attached photos. There is definitely some sort of fitting there in the pipe where the leak is - what I'm wondering is was that was connected to something that came off or it was just acting as a plug there (for some reason).

Next question, I assume the heater can be bypassed entirely? In one of the photos you can just barely see a pipe that seems to connect the two pipes going into the heater (marked with red line in the photo). I don't have a better pic of the overall setup at the moment as I'm not home, but will update the post later. Thanks much in advance!

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 17
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 17
  • pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 16
  • pool4.jpg
    pool4.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 16
Welcome to TFP.

You may have a heater bypass but we can't tell from the pic.

Looks like you have a Heat Pump. Please create your signature and tell us the make and model heat pump and other details of your pool.

Welcome to TFP.

You may have a heater bypass but we can't tell from the pic.

Looks like you have a Heat Pump. Please create your signature and tell us the make and model heat pump and other details of your pool.

Thanks for the replies! Yes of course, makes/models are helpful....

Heat pump is a Gulf Stream GS 1010-R-A with a Hayward SP2610x15. Far as any other details such as gallonage of the pool - I have no idea! Attached a few more pics, as those probably speak to you better than I do ;-). Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_8368.jpg
    IMG_8368.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8373.jpg
    IMG_8373.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8375.jpg
    IMG_8375.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8377.jpg
    IMG_8377.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 1
You have a heater bypass.

-Turn off your pump.
-Turn the Red valve on the cross pipe 90 degrees so the handle is perpendicular to the pipe. That opens the bypass.
-Turn the Blue valves on the heater intake and outlets 90 degrees so they are parallel with the pipe. That closes the water lines to the heater.
-Turn on your pump and check that the water is flowing through the bypass with no leaks.

Look at the bottom of the old PoolMath page at PoolMath and you will find Estimating pool volume. Calculate it to the best of your ability and update your signature.

Was able to bypass the heater and finally got a chance to investigate further inside the pump. I just assume replace this threaded piece, as opposed to epoxy or putty which I can't imagine withstanding the pressure anyways. What would you call such a fitting - so that I can begin the search for a replacement? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8509.jpg
    IMG_8509.jpg
    607.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8511.jpg
    IMG_8511.jpg
    891.4 KB · Views: 10

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.