sub150

Aug 4, 2022
Phoenix
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey everyone. Just bought a house with a pool and noticed on Wednesday I had a small leak on a pipe going to the pump.

Came home this morning to a pool 2 feet below normal and the piece leaking had separated. So assuming I had a pump just pumping out water all night.

1) What are best practices resealing this part of the pipe.
2) Did I do any damage to the pump? I guess I'll see when I go to restart it.
3) Was this bound to happen? I'm guessing pressure got too high? I was going to backwash when I got home..it'd been a week.

Video of leak here.

Attachments

• IMG_2802.jpg
    IMG_2802.jpg
    582.2 KB · Views: 10
Rats! :brickwall: That happened to someone else a couple months back. PVC glue work it looks bad. All you can do now is try to repair. That pipe pulled out so nicely I wonder if you can clean-up the male & female parts and re-glue it? :scratch: Might be risky though. If in doubt, best to be safe and cut to make room for you to re-do the PVC. Hopefully the pump didn't get so hot for too long to where it caused permanent damage.

Reactions: sub150
Yea. No clue when it happened. Pump was on from 8p to 6a. Pool water has about a foot of plaster exposed and it's 97 right now so have 2 hoses filling it back up. I have an old pool so have heard the plaster is a little "stronger" than newest stuff.

Are pumps pretty binary..either on/working or not on/not working?

Hey everyone. Just bought a house with a pool and noticed on Wednesday I had a small leak on a pipe going to the pump.

Came home this morning to a pool 2 feet below normal and the piece leaking had separated. So assuming I had a pump just pumping out water all night.

1) What are best practices resealing this part of the pipe.
2) Did I do any damage to the pump? I guess I'll see when I go to restart it.
3) Was this bound to happen? I'm guessing pressure got too high? I was going to backwash when I got home..it'd been a week.

Video of leak here.
Either the pump or filter moved (not very likely) or someone tried to make a mis-cut piece of pipe work. Since you have a union on the pump, a pipe extender could be used to lengthen the pipe that came out and re-insert into the fitting. Its good to put a coating of PVC cement in the fitting, let it dry, then add another coat when the parts are put together. If it leaks, you still have enough pipe to work with to redo the plumbing. Just be sure to remove the paint from the areas being glued. Primer and a rag work well for that.

Reactions: sub150
Yea. No clue when it happened. Pump was on from 8p to 6a. Pool water has about a foot of plaster exposed and it's 97 right now so have 2 hoses filling it back up. I have an old pool so have heard the plaster is a little "stronger" than newest stuff.

Are pumps pretty binary..either on/working or not on/not working?
Pumps work or they don't, yes. Why they don't is a completely different question. The problem can be internal (bad motor, broken impeller, bad seal, bad O rings, missing or leaking plugs) or external (everything else that the pump is attached to). They are a part of a system that needs everything else to be functioning as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.