Mansfield, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-25
First year pool owners, so this will be our first time dealing with fall leaves. We didn’t mind too much when the live oak (I think) was dropping junk in the pool earlier this year, but if it gets out of hand this fall, I’d like to know what I need going in. Our neighbors have a bunch of trees so it could be bad.

I searched around on TFP and saw mostly safety cover threads. A safety cover for our odd-shaped pool would be $5k (yikes). Besides, we have a locking fence around the pool. We do have a waterfall with a freeze defender relay and we could get a freeze or two over the winter.

Mostly just to keep the leaves out of the skimmer until we can clean them off, is a leaf net or a tarp worthwhile? I saw someone mention in another thread that a solar cover could achieve the same thing and that seems like it would be nice to have something floating on the surface, although not sure if the freezing temp triggering the waterfall could be an issue.

Thanks for any advice!

You have to experiment and see what works in your location. One way or another you have to cleanup the leaves from the skimmer or tarp or leaf net. You will see how much of a pain that is and if the $5K cover will be worth it.

We have a lot of trees around our pool and went through our first fall without a leaf net. That was not fun! There were times I had to empty the skimmers multiple times in one day. We keep it on in the spring through the live oak drop because that is bad, too. Maybe we have more trees than you do. We also live on a pretty big hill, and it’s always windy.

We needed a safety net, and our leaf net was an additional purchase on top of that. Even the two together for our freeform pool with spillover spa and waterfall weren’t $5,000. I’m thinking that there may be more options than you’ve found. Our leaf net is mesh, and our fountain will run right through it if need be.

I don’t have any experience with solar covers, so I can’t comment on that. I will say that I’m glad we have the leaf net, especially when crazy fronts come through. It’s a relief not having to worry about leaves clogging the skimmer right in the middle of a storm.

We have a lot of trees around our pool and went through our first fall without a leaf net. That was not fun! There were times I had to empty the skimmers multiple times in one day. We keep it on in the spring through the live oak drop because that is bad, too. Maybe we have more trees than you do. We also live on a pretty big hill, and it’s always windy.

We needed a safety net, and our leaf net was an additional purchase on top of that. Even the two together for our freeform pool with spillover spa and waterfall weren’t $5,000. I’m thinking that there may be more options than you’ve found. Our leaf net is mesh, and our fountain will run right through it if need be.

I don’t have any experience with solar covers, so I can’t comment on that. I will say that I’m glad we have the leaf net, especially when crazy fronts come through. It’s a relief not having to worry about leaves clogging the skimmer right in the middle of a storm.
The $5k cover was a safety cover with a special shape for our waterfall and kidney shaped pool, so that’s a no-go for me.

I like the idea of the leaf mesh net. What brand do you have?

We have Katchakid brand as our first priority was a safety net. It took me quite a while to find something that could be done for our pool. Ours was custom made for our shape as well, and our leaf net even had to be mailed off to Houston to be finished and then sent back to be installed. I don’t know all the brands that you may have as options up there near a Dallas, but I found when making phone calls that there were some nice folks out there who gave me names and numbers to call when I was hunting.

Hmm. I’m trying to attach a picture, but somehow I just can’t get it to find my photo library. I’m pretty sure I posted the same photo a few months back in a thread called “pollen bombs go boom” or something of that nature. The mesh let the pollen wash into the water, but it kept all the catkins from clogging my skimmers while we were gone at church the morning of that storm. I’ll see if I can find the thread.

Hmm. I’m trying to attach a picture, but somehow I just can’t get it to find my photo library. I’m pretty sure I posted the same photo a few months back in a thread called “pollen bombs go boom” or something of that nature. The mesh let the pollen wash into the water, but it kept all the catkins from clogging my skimmers while we were gone at church the morning of that storm. I’ll see if I can find the thread.

This post?

My picture is on the second page a ways down. It can give you an idea. Sorry about not managing just to put it in above.

This post?

I guess that was another one I answered. I spent so many hours in the first months I owned a pool trying to work out a safety solution, I try to help when someone asks. You’re impressive, Allen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.