Laying sod

harleysilo said:
What type of grass did you lay? Did i miss that in this thread?

Are those clover blooms?

You appear to get full sun, correct?

Cenipiede Grass

Yes these are some clovers in there, is there a way to kill them without affecting the grass?

Yes full sun all day. Part of it in the late afternoon get shaded from the fence but that's only maybe 1.5 hours at most from 5:30 til 7 or so right now.

kyle11 said:
Yes these are some clovers in there, is there a way to kill them without affecting the grass?
Mowing, If you'll mow it about twice a week so as to keep the clover from heading it'll eventually die. You could try some broadleaf herbicide (MCPP, Mecoprop being the best), but I don't know if you can readily find it. If you do it's probably going to be a combination of it and 2-4-D and maybe something else. It will take a few applications to get rid of it.

Ok thanks Bama. I know my dad has an abundant of 2-4-d as he uses it around his farm. What is you opinion on using a riding mower on it? Should I just go buy a push mower? I just hate going to buy one only to use a few times but also don't want my zero turn messing up the grass.

Melt In The Sun said:
Maybe you could just borrow a push mower? You must know somebody who has one. I would be reluctant to use the zero-turn as well...

My neighbor has one but I would rather buy one, use it once, then burn it before I use hers. We just don't get along.

Long story short I have always mowed a small amount of her yard butted up to mine that met HER fence because he didn't have a push mower. Maybe 10 feet wide and 100 feet long. Also weed eated her fence line. Well since we put up our fence there is a 10 foot gap in there and I would sometimes drive my truck through there to get to the backside of the house. She calls me out there and tells me I am messing up her property spouting off some Crud about run off or something caused from my truck. So now I don't mow it or weed eat it.

Anyways other than her everyone I know has a riding mower or has a lawn service take care of it. I don't care to go buy one, a cheap one is only $200 but was just wonder everyone's opinions/ experience with sod after it has taken root around the 6 week mark.

Went and picked up a push mower today. Grass looks much better now that it is mowed.

Is it to soon to be putting down some weed killer/ fertilizer? Like a all in one granual that I can use with a broadcast spreader? I used starter fertilizer when it was 1st put down that didn't haves lot of nitrogen.

Also I started off watering 2 times a day for 30 min each via a few impact sprinklers. Am now watering every 2 days for 60 minutes in one sitting in the mornings. Should I start cutting back more now that I have mowed it and should that be enough/ to much water? Temps here are in the 70-80 range in the day here and it gets 11-12 hours of sunlight each day.

by8yzy3y.jpg
tuvavadu.jpg
6e4u2ade.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.