Plainfield Il
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Well, this will be the layout for the pool. Not on the sketch are the steps from the deck to the pool deck. The plan is to add them after the pool deck is done going left and right off the deck between the pool and deck about 4' wide. Another option would be to put a set on the right side going to the pool deck patio (16x16) and another on the far left side to the pool deck.
Always looking for other ideasfullsizeoutput_36fa.jpeg

Suggestions?

Last edited:
You can see the stairs as they are know going off the deck left and right. The pool elevation is planned to be about 3-4 feet below the deck egde of the main deck. We will be redecking the deck with a new railling.

A few pictures of the yard, looking north
FdWTMsHTRzmJl1dpTT9Q8g.jpg

Back of the yard looking west

axdo9I6iTKCgqmTyaa0ILA.jpg

Last edited:
This is truly where a picture is worth 1000 words. I LOVE the idea of the pool on the other side of that deck. Just make sure you "jump" proof it aka make sure no can jump from the deck railing or such into the pool. I know for a fact my husband aka big kid would try it if at all possible :roll: LOL

I love the idea of taking that part that has the current stairs off and having the new steps coming down to the pool deck in one wide set of steps. That will be so wide and grand. Something else would love you to think about is Plexiglas instead of the deck rails. Think how pretty it would be to be able to sit on the deck and not have anything blocking the sight of the pool.

Kim:kim:

My steps recommendation would be to avoid using the space between the deck and the pool for steps. I think it will create a bottleneck with only 4’ of remaining deck space there. That’s too small for the main side of the pool with a party going on. I’d do the steps off the right side the same width as where the pool patio meets the deck. Looks like 6-8’ which would be very nice. And if you want, a set of 4’ steps off the left (non-primary) side. Placing the main steps on the right side will give a great view for folks arriving via the side walkway access.

Kim has a good point on the railing visibility (or invisibility). My choice would be a railing system using black aluminum balusters. I think they are like 1/2” thick or less and you can see through them much easier than the wooden spindles. Then of course matching this with a black aluminum pool fence ($$) would be a great look. Tempered glass (or plexiglass) will always be a cleaning challenge. Especially if you have dogs (noses) or kids (hands) or pollen or dust.

Another deck option we have been discussing. After spying a lot of pictures we've seen others have done multi levels with pavers and landscaping or decking to get the pool deck.
The deck now has 2 levels we could lower the side thats even with the back door 2 steps then there would only be about 3 steps to the pool deck going down were the table and chairs are. We're not a big fan of the steeps going straight down towards the pool. That just seems to be a problem for one to fall into the pool. But something similar to what we have now going both directions. As the drawing shows a 16x16 concrete patio next to the pool.
The picture below is looking south the house faces west. We're concerned about afternoon sun.

0Gi31uMtRgebauoGeqFIYQ.jpgfullsizeoutput_36fa.jpeg

Have you thought about ripping out the whole deck, big steps coming out of the house to a massive one level patio/pool deck combined? No steps (except getting out) then wide open spaces with no barriers. Sitting down lower also equals more privacy from neighbors depending on landscaping. I too would be worried about the sun from the west. Our house deck has a large pergola. And the pool has a pavilion. We too face west.

You could put a retaining wall up near the house, about 2' tall, which would let you drop down to the proper level right away while not digging down right next to the house which can be a problem leaving too little soil above the house footer. Here's a picture of similar retaining wall. Well more of the mower, but you get the idea.

2014-04-05 15.24.20.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: floridapoolfan
Thanks for the reply.
We have talked about ripping it out but there still will be steps. The Idea of lowering the deck then came up. There also is a time consideration I don't expect the pool to be installed till August. Then to have to wait for a landscaper to come in and redo the yard. I don't think it would be wise to do a paver patio before the pool.

m

Have you thought about ripping out the whole deck, big steps coming out of the house to a massive one level patio/pool deck combined? No steps (except getting out) then wide open spaces with no barriers. Sitting down lower also equals more privacy from neighbors depending on landscaping. I too would be worried about the sun from the west. Our house deck has a large pergola. And the pool has a pavilion. We too face west.

You could put a retaining wall up near the house, about 2' tall, which would let you drop down to the proper level right away while not digging down right next to the house which can be a problem leaving too little soil above the house footer. Here's a picture of similar retaining wall. Well more of the mower, but you get the idea.

View attachment 127568

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.