Laticrete gripe!

Feb 18, 2014
Houston, TX
So ive been looking into using laticrete products. The thinset, stainproof grout, and water membrane. They have a few different options they suggested to my tile mfg. So i decided to call them and get pricing see which one i would tell my pb to price/use in our remodel (glass tile).

All the distributors i called do not sell to the direct consumers. I wasnt even interested in buying it directly, i just wanted to get a pricing reference to get an idea of which one to pick.

I called laticrete and asked if their distributors can dictate who they do and dont sell it to. Doesnt make sense to me to buy from a company like that. What happens when i have to retile a segment of our glass tile and but cant get a hold of laticrete products.

Rant over lol

Hi - I've used both Mapei and Laticrete but both for non-pool applications. Last year I put in a steam shower and used NobleSeal TS for the liner (on top of the CBU and then tile on top of the liner), Laticrete for the custom pan and for the thinset. I used Mapei quartz-epoxy grout, and in my family room I used Mapei SLC (self leveling compound) to flatten out the floor. I'm new to it all but I liked both vendors. Laticrete just seemed stronger, but I don't know whether that's good or bad - if someone has to come in later and rip out the steam shower or replace one tile, they'll hate me.
To buy it, you can buy some of this stuff from the big box stores, but you may have to order it. In Ohio, Floor And Decor sells Mapei and so does Lowes. I've seen Laticrete at Menards and a while ago I think Lowes sold it too.
But admittedly it's tough to buy from distributors, but I think with good reason.
For us, the DIY-ers, we ask a lot of questions which takes time from their good customers, we buy in small quantities and never come back, and we return stuff when we make mistakes. Then two years down the road when it fails they'll get an earful and have to come out and see whether it was installed correctly, by someone who has never taken the training offered by the vendor.
I've had good luck just sitting down with the distributor and telling them I have a big project, and trying to convince them to sell to me. And taking the training classes helps both me and the distributor. Or you can set up an LLC or small company and do it that way (a friend did this, seemed like a lot of work to me just to buy products).
One last thing - talk to the company reps about your application and take the training for the recommended product. Some are offered online. If you don't take the training, you'll want to spend some time practicing your prep and work.
Anyway, all over the place in this post but that's been my experience - hope it helps!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.