Latest test results - CH unchanged

lbtx

Oct 15, 2017
Perth WA
Hi All,

I am a new pool owner and have so far tested the pool twice and added chemicals once, all following the TFP methodology.

In between the first and 2nd test I added acid, calcium and stabiliser.

Here are the numbers from my latest test:

FC 11 (previously 5.5)
ph 7.4 (previously 7.8)
TA 100 (previously 75)
CH 225 (no change??)
CYA 80 (previously 30)
salt not tested this time

So all in all that looks pretty good to me. I will reduce the SWG % to drop the FC a bit.
What do you think about the TA? Is that too high now?

Also even though I added calcium, the CH test did not increase. Is this an issue?
I added 50% of the amount of calcium suggested by pool math.
I guess i just need to add more.

Your looking pretty good -yes you can drop the SWG a touch by the looks of it. The increase in calcium should be reflected in the test result so it could be a testing error. It's probably worth checking that your conducting the CH test correctly- ie- are you using correct sample size, right number of drops etc. If your at 225 CH, I would leave it where it is for the moment.

Your TA is also fine at the moment- if your adding acid to drop the pH that will bring it down in due course and should slow the pH rise. This reduces the acid additions- which is obviously a good thing!! We suggest a pH of 7.2 - 7.8. See the recommended levels chart.

G'day

Welcome to the forum!

Good to see another aussie fellow here.

Jezza is definitely your go-to local expert.
Great resource for any pool questions.

I'm fairly new pool owner but the advice I got here not only got me a crystal clear low maintenance pool, but also gave me confidence to help others.

I see you have the best aussie test kit you can get, well done on this one.

As Jeeza said, don't worry too much about your CH. Could be testing error, especially if you did the standard test (10ml). High sensitivity test is not recommended anyway, especially with a fibreglass pool.

As for TA, I don't actively try to change its levels. I'm more concerned about pH. Every pool is different and you will learn yours. But they tend to have a sweet spot where the pH likes to be. With a SWG your pH will gradually increase due to aeration. Adding MA to reduce your pH to 7.2 when it hits 8.0 will gradually drop your TA until pH and TA find their balance.
My pool is plaster, so slightly different. It took me about 4 months to find my sweet spot adding MA when required. Now my TA sits at 80 (I started at 120), my pH at 7.6-7.8 and I haven't added MA in 4 weeks.

Try to test your salt when you have a chance. AstralPool SWG like a salt level at 4000ppm (check your manual), aim for 4400 at the beginning of the swim season to allow for loss due to splashing and you should not have to add more until next year.

Ask questions, lots of them if you have to, Jeeza and needsajet are our local experts and will provide best advice for our climate.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.