Las Vegas leak detection

Jetjohn6

Sep 22, 2019
Las Vegas
I believe I'm in need of leak detection service. For the last few months I've noticed more and more moisture near the equipment pad. Near the pad are a couple palm trees that are looking worse and worse. We suspect the pool plumbing is leaking and exposing these plants to chlorine.

I'm thinking the next step is a leak detection company. Assuming I'm correct and have a plumbing leak can they accurately pinpoint the location so I know exactly where to dig?

What can I expect to pay a leak detection company and what should I expect from them?

Can anybody recommend a service in the Las Vegas/Henderson area?

I suspected I had a leak but couldn’t figure out the source. Finally, I called Leak Terminators, you can Yelp ‘em. If I recall when he comes out, it’s like $350 if he finds a leak or not. With that said, I wanted to try something else before spending that much with no guarantee. Once on Yelp, it’s algorithms always give you other companies to check out

Down here in Tucson American Leak Detection is what most people use. They are pricy though … around $500 to locate a subterranean leak. They try to do it as cheaply as possible but if they have to breakout the helium leak detector you pay a lot for that service and they charge you for the bottle of helium gas they use which can add several hundred dollars to the cost.

Are you sure it’s the pool and not an irrigation line? Are you losing water in the pool? Is your auto fill running a lot when the pool pump is running? Are you noticing odd chemical readings like loss of calcium hardness or CYA?

Thanks for the responses. I put a call into Leak Terminators. He wants me to confirm a leak with the bucket test before he comes out. I suppose I should have done that sooner but at this point it almost seems like a forgone conclusion.

I haven't noticed any odd chemical readings. Not that I check those often but the last time I did they were about what I expected.

Chemically speaking, if you had a leak that was constant you would notice that the autofill seems to run a lot and the CYA and CH levels drop over time. Depending on the hardness of your fill water relative to your pool water, the CH will tend to drop because high CH pool water is leaking out and lower CH fill water is replacing it. CYA does the same thing because it doesn't naturally breakdown very quickly and fill water contains no CYA. Of course, the caveat in those two tests would be that you are using a chlorine source that does not contain either calcium or stabilizer, so bleach or an SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.