Landscaping ideas?

Newbie here. We just setup our pool. It's awesome. We have a 2 ft trench around it with tarp.

Wondering what we should do with tarp and what is best to fill in the trench? Dirt, rocks or mulch? We have little kids don't really nwant to use mulch because of splinters...

What do guys suggest?

Thanks!

Ok, so I have white beach pebbles around mine (no jagged edges). I was thinking that or river rock, and then rather than planting something, do large clay or pottery pots with succulents or something suited to your climate, that you can move around. The kids might enjoy gardening in containers.

Reactions: nantucker22
Thank you again kellyfair! I like that idea of the white rocks.it is more expensive then mulch. Is mulch a bad idea for the pool you think?

I do have some container plants I want to use to decorate.

We are not in high desert, just north of Los Angeles.

Here is a picture

Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_20200611_213728.jpg
    IMG_20200611_213728.jpg
    928.9 KB · Views: 59
I like river rock, or any smooth pebble. I have mulch from the back of my pool to my house and river pebble from my deck steps to the pool. I hate walking in the mulch. My filter/pump are on pavers in the mulch. Mulch sticks to your feet and it can hurt when you get a splinter in your foot. The pebble is softer on the feet and doesn't track into the pool. When a float is thrown out of the pool and lands on the mulch, I tend to get mulch in my pool. And stone, imo, is pretty around a pool.

Pretty area! I’m not crazy about mulch. It breaks down and needs replacing, my dogs try to eat it...

I would use rubber mulch (chunks not shredded) or smooth rock. I had shredded rubber mulch around my pool previously, and it tended to migrate out of the ring more than I preferred, great other than that. I personally wouldn’t use regular wood mulch. I’m trying to pick between rubber mulch or rock now myself for my new install.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don’t take it down, wouldn’t even if I lived somewhere cold. Too much work!

However, I don’t get in until about April when the water hits 85 degrees or more, and then stop around October when water gets too cold for me. I like it in the high 80s, even 90 or 91!

I do not have an updated picture of my complete landscape, but I went with rubber mulch and basic landscape edging. I love it. It looks nice. Keeps the kids away from the outside of the pool with their bikes and other toys. And keeps the lawnmower far enough away! I am super over protective about the liner of the pool. Here is a picture from before the landscaping was complete :)

Attachments

• pool- 3.jpg
    pool- 3.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 24
Yep, my heater is called Florida! 😂

It actually gets hotter than that, if we go a few days without storms. I think my top water temp last year was 93.

Reactions: Kittymermaid
Today's landscaping progress. Just filled in with the soil we dug out for the pool and placed all the flower pots I had. Sooooo much as attractive!!!

That looks really pretty... you could put a few other elements too, like a wind chime, some pretty garden stakes...

Reactions: Kittymermaid
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.