LaMotte ColorQ Pro-7 digital water test kit. Is it okay to use?

May 6, 2018
Bloomington IN
Is this kit okay to use? I bought it before coming across this forum.

Edit. Being a new pool owner I thought it would be easier for a computer to tell me the readings instead of compairing to a color chart. And a down side I see is it only reads up 10 ppm of fc. That wont work for the slam method. Hmm.

Last edited:
I used to use one and ended up with 600 ppm ch cause i kept adding it and adding it and the color q kept saying 120. Wanted around 250 so that kinda was frustrating. The pool was a 118000 litre pool so it was an expensive mistake. Never again will i use a non Taylor test kit.

P,

I have and use both the TF-100 and the Color Q... The color Q is easier to use and looks like a professional test kit... But it is does not give you the same accurate results that the TF-100 or Taylor kits give you.

I use it like I would a normal wrench when tightening a nut on a bolt.. If all I need to know is if the nut is tight, it works fine... If I really need to make sure the nut is tightened to 100 ft. lbs., then I use a torque wrench (my TF-100).. I also use my TF-100 to calibrate the Color Q.. If my TF-100 says my CH is 350 and the Color Q says 300 I just add 50 to whatever the Color Q says...

We like everyone to report there reading using the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C (and yes the 'C' is important..) because it gives us a level playing field where we all have the same reference.. This is one reason we don't like pool store results because we have no faith as to how accurate their results are.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Please do not confuse the specificity of the results the ColorQ gives with accuracy. We have had members attempt to use the ColorQ to follow our methods and almost all have abandoned its use due to inaccuracies and inconsistencies. We even had one member test the same sample of water three times in a row and ended up with three different sets of results. Here is an example of a ColorQ post: ColorQ vs TF100 and here is a review where the Color Q was used alongside a TF-100. Test Kit Comparison

So which test kit is easiest to measure CYA and use all together? The TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006C? Will buy one or the other soon.

Edit: Then there is the Taylor k-2006. It is the cheapest will it be okay?
Nope, you want the "C" model. The standard 2006 has small bottles of reagent that don't last much time at all.

The most cost effective is the TF-100 because it is set up for what a residential pool owner uses. You get more of what you need and less of the stuff you won't use often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.