Ladder or no ladder in deep end?

PghPoolDude

Aug 30, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi - Our pool is under construction and we have a choice to make in regards to our ladder in the deep end. Here are our planned pool dimensions:

20 feet by 40 feet vinyl liner pool
3'4'' shallow end with a gradual decline to a 6' deep end
8'' safety ledge around the entire pool so the deep end will have a safety ledge
Three stairs going into the pool the entire length of the shallow end with a ladder in the middle of the stairs
Automatic cover
No diving board because of the 6' deep end

The idea is that having the safety ledge around the whole pool, particularly the deep end will mean people/kids will still be able to hoist themselves out if they aren't in the shallow end to access the stairs.

From a "looks" perspective, we are having a problem with the fact that the stairs in the pool will be a dark blue and will look different than the liner. We are getting "color match" skimmers, etc that will blend in really well with the vinyl liner. The stairs will just stick out and look different.

I'm looking for an experienced opinion on this. How important would a ladder be?

My pool is only 32' long and I felt we needed another ladder out for kids and fear they'd get tired and want out fast. Because we have an autocover I even found a ladder that works on lever type hinge so it pulls up out of the way.

Yeah, the kids use it occasionally, but they climb out over the side just as often and I realize I could have left it off entirely. <shrug>

Maddie :flower:

Thanks for the reply! We have three kids (twins turning 8 next month and 6 year old) and we originally thinking we could just do without it. PLUS, the ladder that is used for the auto-cover has handles that don't go down into the water...it just looks like it would be harder to use anyways. Do you have a pic or link to send of the ladder you mention with the level type hinge so it pulls up out of the way?

This is not my exact one, mine just hinge back and get held by a locking pin. Take the pin out and the ladder gets lowered into the pool. It doesn't go up and down in the ground like these newer versions-

Thanks! I checked out some of your pictures; you have a beautiful set up! What is the distance of the safety ledge in your pool's deep end to the top of your concrete decking? At this point, I'm just curious to see what is a reasonable height for kids to just climb out over the side without a ladder.

There are also split ladders. I don‘t have one, maybe you know about these already?

In my experience, little kids bounce out of the deep end as if gravity didn’t exist. I have a diving board, and kids clamber out with no difficulty to jump off the board over and over and over.

How do you accomplish the ladder at the shallow end with an auto-cover?

There are also split ladders. I don‘t have one, maybe you know about these already?

In my experience, little kids bounce out of the deep end as if gravity didn’t exist. I have a diving board, and kids clamber out with no difficulty to jump off the board over and over and over.

How do you accomplish the ladder at the shallow end with an auto-cover?
I actually just learned about those split ladders from you earlier this evening! I think you mentioned in a reply from a few years ago. Anyways, one part of the actual wall would be steps and the ladder handles would be totally above water. See the pic attached. That darker blue part on the wall are stairs. My wife doesn't want this because our stairs would dark blue and wouldn't jive with the vinyl liner. Yes, we are thinking with the safety ledge, this would be the support kids need to bounce out of the pool at the deep end.

Attachments

• IMG_9866.jpeg
    IMG_9866.jpeg
    351.8 KB · Views: 45
Yes, we are thinking with the safety ledge, this would be the support kids need to bounce out of the pool at the deep end

They will hop out using the ledge like gravity doesn’t exist. We went back and forth between a deep end bench / cutout and a ladder. When we decided on the bench, the permits were already approved and would have had to have been re-submitted adding another few weeks to our mid summer build so we just went with the ladder. 7 years later those few weeks would have been worth every second but at the time we had to have the pool right away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.