Killing Algae and taking names, my slam experience(leaving town soon too)

If you're confident you already have an accurate test result for tonight, go ahead and do the test tomorrow morning before sun hits the pool. If you pass, you know you're done.

I can't answer with certainty the issue of over-elevated FC levels. If nothing else, you get a free bump out of me.

Reactions: MikeLikesPools
If I recall correctly, you previously reported clear water. Keep in mind this is one of the criteria for passing.
yup, i think im understanding now. Pool company tests are Crud and test strips suck. They starve your pool and keep it on the brink of algae so you constantly need products/set you up to fail. The taylor tests are amazing.

This whole issue started due to a pump swap and a leak on the pressure side causing poor circulation and leading to my pool to not turnover enough (Leslies tech installed). Once they fixed the bad union (a week later) joint it was too late and the algae moved in even though I mostly couldnt see it. What I didnt realize is it doesnt have to be green for you to get algae that will stop up the system. My chlorine was being eaten up like a mad man & final test i got at pool store was 0 chlorine and .1 FC.

for my specific issue, I kept seeing what i thought was dirt/sand on my steps but it kept coming back within hours even when i brush it. After my slam started i used my brush on my steps once and now its 100% clear nothing comes back. additionally i think the polaris pool bag had algae in it, it was green colored it is no longer green and it is pure white again. I do clean the bag weekly thoroughly or as needed with a hose to remove debris but this is further evidence i had algae. The pressure issue again algae.

Once i come back from vacation i plan to go salt water with the circupool rj60+ system.

So glad I found this community!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Morning update, Last night after sundown my FC test was 21 (accidentally overshot?) this morning FC was 15? I know some folks had mentioned going over the FC doesnt actually help but should the pool have maintained 20-21 overnight? This morning I added the poolmath recommended amount of LC and will check every two hours and add as needed and will keep the pool clean. Pool filter psi at 10psi not worried about that compared to 9 yesterday I expect a slight variance there.

I again overshot to 21 even though I was precise with the pour. Im going to begin reducing amounts I put in by 25% recommended by poolmath. Perhaps my pool size calculation is off, Not 100%. I have a strange shaped pool and have never known the correct size.

I again overshot to 21 even though I was precise with the pour. Im going to begin reducing amounts I put in by 25% recommended by poolmath. Perhaps my pool size calculation is off, Not 100%. I have a strange shaped pool and have never known the correct size.
What are the general dimensions and depths? Mine is right close to 27k so it’s almost the same size. I have a 9-10 foot deep end and free form shape.

What are the general dimensions and depths? Mine is right close to 27k so it’s almost the same size. I have a 9-10 foot deep end and free form shape.
wow mine has two sides 4 ft and center is 6ft deep, but its almost as wide as my house. My wife and I have debated this a few times and we arent 100% sure

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alright, I turned off my water feature its a stone waterfall that definitely is growing algae on it and Im wondering if that is my remaining algae source.

Since I got this new pump its a VS so water feature was running 24x7x365 at slow and heavy speeds so along with the lack of circulation for a week (due to bad leslies tech install) this rock has all algae all over it. Previously the pump ran for a while but would turn off for 8-10hours dry up and I dont recall this much algae.

To treat the water feature I turned off the water feature. I saw a video on youtube where a guy uses a cholrine tablet (with gloves) to rub on the rocks/tile lets it sit a bit then washed away. I just did that and will starve the algae of the water and let the sun kill the rest. I will leave the water feature off indefinitely until i return.

I jumped in the pool (didnt want to but no other way) to check behind the light. my light does not have a lot of free space behind it, it has a large backend and I couldnt seem to free it. I felt around the edges of the brim and ran my fingers along to see if I could stir up any algae and no luck so I think Im good there. The only source left for my algae at this point I think was water feature. I dont have ladders or slides. Im hoping after tonight or maybe tomorrow Ive killed the organic bas***ds!! 🤣

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
update, considering how off my FC was I changed my pool volume to 20k in poolmath more drastic than the 500gallon suggested earlier. Earlier I needed to move from 14.5 to 16.0 which poolmath said add 31oz of LC. I did that, waited 30minutes or so (now) and tested again, boom, 16FC so likely correct on pool size. based on the quality of the water and now no more algae from water feature Im hoping I'll pass the overnight test. Will test one more time around 8p

Last edited:
Reactions: MITBeta
One aspect of SLAM that is really helpful is to continue an extra 1-2 days even once you pass the criteria, just to make sure. If you had FC of 21 and OLCT showed a reduction of 6, that’s still concerning.

As you mention, water features, ladders, removable steps, etc can all harbor algae… attack any of those areas you might have in your pool.

+1. Every last inch is suspect until its not. It needs a scrub, some SLAM bleach and maybe a drain (like ladder rails). We unfortunately have never been to your house to point out the autofill/overflow or the waterfall or any other possible source. So.

Every. Last. Inch. :)

You came to kick algae tail and chew bubble gum. But you're all out of bubble gum. You got this.

Yes. When FC is 20+ the burnoff as a % of the CYA tends to be more noticeable. Some folks lose an extra 5 or so to the sun alone, but it appears to be algae due to the SLAM.

The OCLT shouldn't lose any, having removed UV loss, but then having to make 40 or 50 perfect drops is alot harder than one would think and folks tend to have false fails in the morning.

Well folks, the persistence paid off while i logged 14.5 last night i tested twice (also got 15~) because as you said people get tired, lose count etc. This morning somewhat refreshed I got 16 which was my target so I think I miscalculated last night. The water feature was the culprit.

Final question for now, because Im leaving town and have no neighbors I can trust to help me maintain while Im gone. I have one person who can help me probably 3times over the course of 2.5 weeks. This situation now tells me I need to convert to salt but thats obviously not happening before my trip. Here is my away plan. I dont know if Ill have enough time to gauge how much LC that will burn off daily but I was thinking of dropping in 2 tablets then bring pool up to slam levels prior to leaving. Then Id have someone test the water 3-5 days later (best I can do) to see how much LC to add and bring it back up to slam levels and repeat this process for the two weeks Im gone. Any thoughts / ideas etc?

I know the evils of tablets etc now and dont plan to use them going forward but I need some kind of daily sanitizer due to lack of attention my pool will be getting.

I dont know if Ill have enough time to gauge how much LC that will burn off daily but I was thinking of dropping in 2 tablets then bring pool up to slam levels prior to leaving. Then Id have someone test the water 3-5 days later (best I can do) to see how much LC to add and bring it back up to slam levels and repeat this process for the two weeks Im gone. Any thoughts / ideas etc?
3 to 5 days per SLAM has a fair chance of working. Obviously the 3 days are preferable when possible. Even if the algae comes back, it will be mostly kept at bay before it explodes to a swamp. A clear water SLAM wouldn't be so bad when you returned.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.