Killing Algae and taking names, my slam experience(leaving town soon too)

Well folks, the persistence paid off while i logged 14.5 last night i tested twice (also got 15~) because as you said people get tired, lose count etc. This morning somewhat refreshed I got 16 which was my target so I think I miscalculated last night. The water feature was the culprit.

Final question for now, because Im leaving town and have no neighbors I can trust to help me maintain while Im gone. I have one person who can help me probably 3times over the course of 2.5 weeks. This situation now tells me I need to convert to salt but thats obviously not happening before my trip. Here is my away plan. I dont know if Ill have enough time to gauge how much LC that will burn off daily but I was thinking of dropping in 2 tablets then bring pool up to slam levels prior to leaving. Then Id have someone test the water 3-5 days later (best I can do) to see how much LC to add and bring it back up to slam levels and repeat this process for the two weeks Im gone. Any thoughts / ideas etc?

I know the evils of tablets etc now and dont plan to use them going forward but I need some kind of daily sanitizer due to lack of attention my pool will be getting.
If you plan to move to SWCG immediately, then raising the CYA slowly via tabs isn't a terrible plan.
I'd just have the helper drop 2 tabs in every time they visit, 2-3 times over the 2.5 weeks.

You don't have a lot of good options, and I wouldn't worry about it at all while you were gone.
Worst case, you SLAM a couple of days when you return and drain a bit of water.

Reactions: MikeLikesPools
If you plan to move to SWCG immediately, then raising the CYA slowly via tabs isn't a terrible plan.
I'd just have the helper drop 2 tabs in every time they visit, 2-3 times over the 2.5 weeks.

You don't have a lot of good options, and I wouldn't worry about it at all while you were gone.
Worst case, you SLAM a couple of days when you return and drain a bit of water.
do you think I wont need anything beyond the tabs added (no LC)?

Well folks, the persistence paid off while i logged 14.5 last night i tested twice (also got 15~) because as you said people get tired, lose count etc. This morning somewhat refreshed I got 16 which was my target so I think I miscalculated last night. The water feature was the culprit.

Final question for now, because Im leaving town and have no neighbors I can trust to help me maintain while Im gone. I have one person who can help me probably 3times over the course of 2.5 weeks. This situation now tells me I need to convert to salt but thats obviously not happening before my trip. Here is my away plan. I dont know if Ill have enough time to gauge how much LC that will burn off daily but I was thinking of dropping in 2 tablets then bring pool up to slam levels prior to leaving. Then Id have someone test the water 3-5 days later (best I can do) to see how much LC to add and bring it back up to slam levels and repeat this process for the two weeks Im gone. Any thoughts / ideas etc?

I know the evils of tablets etc now and dont plan to use them going forward but I need some kind of daily sanitizer due to lack of attention my pool will be getting.
Mike,

Before I installed my SWCG, I had an in line chlorinator that I only used in cases like yours. We were leaving for a 10 day vacation and needed a way to keep chlorine levels steady. I purchased an extra large floater off Amazon and filled it up with 6-8 3" tablets. I also loaded up the in line with 6-8 tablets. My plan was to consume the tabs in the in line the first week and then have my neighbor drop in the floater the second week. I put the loaded up floater in a plastic bag and left on the back patio and my neighbor did as instructed. When we got home I still had remnants of 3-4 tabs left with a FC around 7.

Each 8 oz tab will add apprx 2 CYA. Since you drained and are now at 40 CYA, if you went the route I did, you would be adding around 20 CYA, which would still only put you at 60. this would also only require 1 visit from your friend.

Mike,

Before I installed my SWCG, I had an in line chlorinator that I only used in cases like yours. We were leaving for a 10 day vacation and needed a way to keep chlorine levels steady. I purchased an extra large floater off Amazon and filled it up with 6-8 3" tablets. I also loaded up the in line with 6-8 tablets. My plan was to consume the tabs in the in line the first week and then have my neighbor drop in the floater the second week. I put the loaded up floater in a plastic bag and left on the back patio and my neighbor did as instructed. When we got home I still had remnants of 3-4 tabs left with a FC around 7.

Each 8 oz tab will add apprx 2 CYA. Since you drained and are now at 40 CYA, if you went the route I did, you would be adding around 20 CYA, which would still only put you at 60. this would also only require 1 visit from your friend.
Youre the best thank you! One other question did you leave pool at slam level before you left or normal? I dont know my FC burn rate yet because my pool is still at slam level. Im thinking I leave pool at FC normal level, put a large floater with 3-4tabs then have them come over once and throw another floater in with 3-4 more to maintain FC level. This is so easy I have one neighbor who would probably do it!

Last edited:
Youre the best thank you! One other question did you leave pool at slam level before you left or normal? I dont know my FC burn rate yet because my pool is still at slam level. Im thinking I leave pool at FC normal level, put a large floater with 3-4tabs then have them come over once and throw another floater in with 3-4 more to maintain FC level. This is so easy I have one neighbor who would probably do it!
I cant recall but I think I did elevate it a bit, maybe 15ish. Also I would let your ph rise up to around 8 before you leave. Tablets are acidic and will reduce your ph. You dont want to be in the low 7s and drop 10+ tablets in. You will crash into the 6s (not good).

I honestly wouldnt worry to much about what youre FC burn rate if youre going to use tablets. It is difficult to calculate since tablets degrade over a few days , giving varying amounts of FC a day. I say bring it up to SLAM right before you leave and let the floaters do the rest of the work. Youll be fine.

Reactions: newdude
The block FC test is fine for a neighbor to do if you don't have the time to teach them the powder test. This is one of those times you just want to know there is enough FC in there and it's maintaining above minimum FC. Canary yellow, but not orange means it's right where it needs to be. Whether that's a 7 or a 9 really doesn't matter much.

I know you don't have time right now, but if you are thinking of SWG and your pool size is actually 20K and not the 28K you thought, have a look at Circupool Core 55 Salt Chlorine Generator | Salt Water Chlorine Pool System . I just installed this (well, my dad did) Sunday and it was incredibly easy. The only issue we had was my pool has 1.5in pipe and this is 2in pipe, so I had to get a coupling reducer (this thing specifically) and it was a bit hard to actually find but we did find it at Lowes for $3 each side (2). Glued those in, cut out 7 inches of pipe, glued in, done. It has the flow switch and everything built-in already, whereas other systems have two parts to install as far as I know and potentially more wiring and stuff. :)

Not a problem if you plan on having a pro install instead. Just wanted to mention because I went with the core 55 exactly because I didn't want to pay someone to install it and I also didn't know what I was doing. It's advertised as the easiest DIY and CircuPool doesn't void warranty for DIY like other brands.

No reason to let the FC come down before you leave. Just leave it at SLAM level and add the floaters when you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.