Keep splitting pool hoses

Guys - As the heading says I keep splitting pool hoses. Over the years I've replaced one or two per year but this year I've already replace 5 or six. I'm thinking there's something I'm doing wrong. Any thoughts what will lead to so many pipes splitting. I just got another today!

Thanks for any help

Are you using rigid PVC or flex PVC? Is it schedule 40?

Post pics of the problem hoses and any markings on them.

What "pool hoses" are they?
Are these on your pool cleaner?
A pic or two of the hoses might help.
Your signature shows an inground, concrete pool in San Diego. That should be plumbed with rigid PVC.

One of those cleaners on wheels with a segmented hose? I am running one of those. Didn't have any issues with splitting the hose in the three years I have this cleaner now. Does your cleaner stay permanently in the water or do you take it out? If taken out, do you leave the hose in the sun? How do you store your hose in winter? Do you have larger objects blocking your cleaner sometimes, basically creating a vacuum in the hose? Are you using the flow regulator that came with the cleaner, or is it directly connected to the suction port? Just bouncing some ideas here to get closer to the problem...

Last edited:
The hoses will deteriorate in the sun overtime. Mostly the ones that float on/near the surface. Where exactly are they splitting? Are these generic or OEM hose sections? Any pics?

The cleaner should have two or three different throat pieces - small, medium and large - to be used in different water flow setups. Maybe try a bigger one and open up the flow regulator a bit to have less underpressure in the hose.

I assume your FC is following the FC/CYA chart, so it shouldn't be high FC that damages the plastic.

Then it gets down to the sun damaging the plastic. You could try hose weights to have less of the hose out of the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow, that looks impressive. Now I understand what you mean by splitting. Is the hose under a lot of torsion, is maybe the cleaner's swivel not turning?

well as far as I can tell the cleaner stops and swivels every 30 seconds or so. The hose doesn't get twisted like a pretzel or anything and when it turns I can hold the leader hose and that doesn't turn. I may be over chlorinating a bit for spells when I'm away on business; so I'm wondering if that degrades the plastic as you suggested earlier? The hoses are six years old.

If you lift the cleaner slightly off the pool floor and hold it by the hose closest to the cleaner, you should see the cleaner turn after a bit. That would indicate that the cleaner swivel is working correctly.

In your last post, you indicate the hoses are about 6 years old. As they will deteriorate over time, I would think 6 years is a pretty good run.

so I'm wondering if that degrades the plastic as you suggested earlier? The hoses are six years old.

As long as you follow the CYA/FC chart, the hoses should be able to cope with that. But I guess that over six years sun and chlorine load will accumulate.

If you replaced a lot of hoses already, then not many will be left from that original 6 year old batch. When started the first ones splitting, and is it only the original ones that split, or also newer ones?

I have my cleaner now for about 3 years, no split hoses so far.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to conclude it's a combination of age and maybe over chlorinating. To be honest I'm not sure what age the split hoses are because when I got the Poolvergnuegen I used all the new hoses but kept all the older ones and as hoses failed I replaced them with older ones but now I can't tell which is which :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.