K-Star 5KW Electric Pool Heater: Pump Size??

meggypie88

Jun 6, 2023
Alberta, Canada
Hi! We are currently looking into the K-Star 5KW heater for our small 12 foot pool, but I've been finding some conflicting information on waterflow. We currently have a 1500 gph filtration pump (calculations say thats 25 gpm). Initially I was concerned whether this would be strong enough to trigger the heater. However when reviewing the manual for the heater, it has a spot where it states max waterflow at 8 gpm and higher would need a bypass. Does anyone have any information on this? I found it extremely odd as in another thread someone talked about ensuring a strong enough pump for this heater.

Reactions: meggypie88
Do you have 240V, 30A circuit with a GFCB available at the equipment? That is needed for that heater that size. You also need what the Canadian Electric Code calls Leakage Current Collectors (essentially bonding connectors) that are sold separately.
The heater will provide approximately 17,500 BTU. Divide that by how many pounds of water you have (1 liter = 1kg X 2.2=pounds) to see the heat gain you can expect per hour.

Do you have 240V, 30A circuit with a GFCB available at the equipment? That is needed for that heater that size. You also need what the Canadian Electric Code calls Leakage Current Collectors (essentially bonding connectors) that are sold separately.
The heater will provide approximately 17,500 BTU. Divide that by how many pounds of water you have (1 liter = 1kg X 2.2=pounds) to see the heat gain you can expect per hour.
My husband is a certified master electrician with his own electrical company so thankfully we have that covered.

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW