K-1766 salt test problem

mlulm

Aug 26, 2008
I just got a new K-1766 kit, when testing my in-ground pool drops gob up and stay milky. I have tried adding way more drops then what should change the color, but nothing happens. I tried it on tap water and worked just fine. The pool is 14 years old, I have been using liquid chorine and trying to change it to salt system. I added 4 bags of salt before the test kit got here and a couple about 10 years ago.

You might have a higher than expected salt level. All those years of liquid chlorine adds residual salt to your water. That's why it's so important to measure the salt level with a K-1766 before adding bags of salt.

Try a diluted test with half pool water and half distilled water, then doubling the result.

Years of liquid chlorine seems to be the problem. My current chlorine level is 7. I did a diluted test 1 part to 4 parts tap water and it took 15 drops. If this is right I have about 15000 ppm.
Is it safe to run a salt generator at that level? Thanks for all your help.

M,

I find that to be unlikely... More like some kind of testing error..

At 15,000 ppm, your pool water would be very noticeable taste..

As much as I dislike pool store testing, I think you should get the water tested by your pool store, and maybe try to use salt test strips, just to see what they say..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: mlulm
The instructions for the test kit are a bit tricky. Make sure you're using a 10 ml sample.

Step 1 says, "Rinse and fill 25 mL sample tube (#9198) to 10 mL mark with water to be tested."

Some read 25 mL and fill to the 25 mark.

Make sure you stop dropping/counting when you see the, "First change from yellow to a milky salmon (brick red)..." Don't wait until the color stops changing.

Good luck!

Reactions: mlulm
old thread, but I just made the same mistake. READ the instructions!! :laughblue:

I was puzzled for a couple of hours at how I went from 400 to 5600 in my 12,000 gallon pool by adding 5 bags of salt... Finally figured it out and im sitting now at 3200. phew!

READ the instructions!! :laughblue:
Well we have ALOT of members in this club. We are happy to have you. :) The test wouldn't be screwed up if the instructions didnt start with 'Fill 25ml vial'.

*brain shuts off*

Nobody sees the (to 10 ml) part. At least, not until they screw it up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good news everyone !!!! I figured it out. We *aren't* idiots. Well. Ok. Half idiots maybe, but its TAYLOR's fault.

The TF 100 has markings to 40ml and says 'fill vial to XX ml'

The seperate k1766 vial has markings to 25ml, so its the '25ml vial' as opposed to our other ones. The instructions read to use the salt vial for the salt test with 10 ml. But they said it in a way that makes us fools.

Good news everyone !!!! I figured it out. We *aren't* idiots. Well. Ok. Half idiots maybe, but its TAYLOR's fault.

The TF 100 has markings to 40ml and says 'fill vial to XX ml'

The seperate k1766 vial has markings to 25ml, so its the '25ml vial' as opposed to our other ones. The instructions read to use the salt vial for the salt test with 10 ml. But they said it in a way that makes us fools.
And I never understood why they have a 10 and a 11 right above it 😎
Would think if it’s 10 ml just mark a 10ml!

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.