Just Starting

Reed Kadavy

Silver Supporter
Nov 22, 2015
Gilbert AZ
We’ve moved to a new home in North Scottsdale with no pool after having a pool the past 11 years. One of the first things on my list, of course, is looking into having a pool built. Using my experiences as a guide, I have a good idea what I want this time around, for instance, I will not be planning for a spa attached to the pool. Having had a rather large spa in the past, it it didn’t make much sense to spend an hour or more heating the water for 20-30 minutes of use with no way to retain the heated water. We rarely used our spa as a result. Guess we were spoiled having owned a couple of free standing spas in a prior life.

Also, our/pool/spa was free form with 13,500 gallons. I’m looking to downsize a bit, maybe 10,000 gallons and probably go with a rectangular design to facilitate easier covering. I see the Forum suggests five estimates. I was thinking three may be adequate. Any reasons for more?

A few other questions, concerning the cleaning issue, my former pool utilized in-floor cleaners on ledges only. I originally used a suction cleaner on the floor until I recently purchased a Discovery Robotic Cleaner which I really love. Does it make sense these days to build a pool without an in-floor system throughout? I assume pop-ups on ledges are a must. Also, with regard to pool equipment, my pool was fully automated with Pentair equipment which I was very happy with. Any other brands to consider? Finally, I used liquid chlorine for sanitation the past year and was about to consider a Stenner pump for the chlorine when we moved. I assume salt is the way to go on a new build with a Stenner for acid. Any advice you may have will be appreciated.

Hiya Reed,

Does it make sense these days to build a pool without an in-floor system throughout?
Yes. With robot cleaning technologies today, why waste money and put extra holes in the pool shell?
I assume pop-ups on ledges are a must.
No, see above, and a quick brushing of the ledge takes care of the places the bot won’t go.
I assume salt is the way to go on a new build with a Stenner for acid.
Yes, easiest way to maintain your pool.

Be sure to post up some pics of your build progress, starting with a pic of the backyard.
:cheers:

Reed,

I would go with the new Pentair IntelliCenter automation with IC40 salt cell... Most people do not "need" a Stenner pump for acid.. It really depends on how your pool and water react. I have three saltwater pools... One of them almost never needs any acid.. I have no idea why??? The other two only required a little acid once a week. I would wait a year on the acid pump, just to find out if you need it or not.

I have robots and would never install an in-floor cleaning system..

Integrated Spas are the most oversold and underused features in the world of pools...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Being in AZ and loving your robot so I'd also avoid putting in a main drain. Get the pool equipment pad plumbed so you can drain from there easily when desired.

Let that robot take care of the pool :) They really *do* do a marvelous job, don't they!?

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.