Just starting research and quotes in NJ

Jrzigirl

Feb 29, 2020
New Jersey
Hi wise pool people! So lucky to have found your site. We are in the first planning stages of our first pool. Home in NJ near Cape May, a summer resort town. It's our second home now but will be primary in a few years. Husband was a competitive swimmer. Met with one local company today who gave us a basic quote of $45,000 for a gunite pool about 600 Sq ft. How many companies do you recommend talking to? We are looking for a master plan for hardscape and pool to be implemented over a few years, pool first of course. Looking for any newbie advice you can offer!

Hey Jrzi (made me snort, thanks. Im from LonGuyland). This is a big project. 3 bids is usually minimum, 5 preferred. But its your project and up to you. Can you absolutely hit it off with the first or second PB ? Of course. Would it hurt to take an hour 4 more times to be sure ? Of course not. Your plan sounds like mine. We were swimming in the pool surrounded by sand. I had already got grass to grow when they came for the patio a few months later, and killed all my new grass. I'm still landscaping and this is season 8 coming up. Each year i tackle more until it becomes too hot to be landscaping. Usually by mid June i'm done for the season.

So get lots of plans and post em up. People love plans here. And pics, ideas, thoughts, concerns and questions too. Mostly we all like helping other people go down the road we already went (most of us blindly).

I started my PB research in May and signed a contract in October. Met with over 10 in person and spoke with over 15 via phone. It took some time but I’m glad I did what I did. After reading many posts here and learning from each builder I spoke with, I was able to determine which builder was the best for me and knew what I wanted.
I was able to say “this is what I want...” vs them telling me what I’m getting.
We start our dig in a few weeks and I am confident in the builder and what to expect/look for during construction. The PB we chose was the second one we met with. You quickly learn who you should NOT use!
Keep in mind GC license requirements for your state. Here in NC any project under $30k doesn’t require a GC license. This was a must for us.
Wish you luck.
Steve

Thanks everyone - met with one PB and have an appointment next week for a 2nd. I don't think there are 10 in my area but I'll do at least 3. My husband wants a lap lane incorporated in the design so that's going to be tricky (and expensive!) I'll let you know and be back for more advice I'm sure!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Stevep2002
Anytime ! With each bid it got easier. Once you figure out exactly what you want you can email it to other PBs or call to see what they can do. Maybe meet the couple that seem like good ones. Some of them you can just cross off at first reply. Trust your gut.

Welcome! I can just picture Michael swimming as we speak - good memories (I am from Baltimore). I might suggest utilizing a landscape designer to work up a whole property plan. Then go to a pool builder to implement the pool and possibly the related hardscape. Does anyone actually do this? Yes, but often times its on higher end projects or for those who appreciate that a pool builder may not be the best person to design your whole backyard or property. Unless you feel you can do that. I was comfortable doing that more or less myself and then telling the PB what I wanted design-wise. Just depends if you want to spend $500-$2K to get an independent design to have everyone else work from as you proceed on the project over the next few years. PB's do a decent job but their are other design options.

For the pool itself, I'd try to get a minimum of 3 quotes. More if you are relying on them to design the project because they may be hit or miss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.