Just Starting Design Process

Holtby57

Apr 18, 2020
Venice, FL
We are just starting to learn the ABCs of pool design, as we have never owned a pool before. We live in Venice, FL after retiring and moving down from the Chicagoland area. We have been visiting friends in our community who have pools, taking pictures of what we like, and asking a lot of questions. We have contacted four recommended pool contractors, and are just starting the design process. Based on what we have seen in our neighborhood, we are leaning towards an in-ground rectangular pool (32'X17') with cutouts, a 6' square spa (with at least 6 water jets), two Pentair [square] MagicBowls with Water Effects, and a sun shelf, all in a "cage" with open view screens. I am fairly tall and love to swim lengths, so we are thinking of a 4' to 6' depth. This requires us to have a "bench" in the deep end according to local code. We have heard great things about Hayward and Pentair equipment, but I am just starting to do my research on all types of equipment. Likely Pebblesheen aqua blue pool finish, with a TBD artistic paver with some grey shades (to flow from our tile in the home). I am reading different forums on TFP, but the process is a little overwhelming at the moment. A couple of questions for the community:
1. Reviews of the Pentair MagicBowls with Water Effects. How high a pedestal is optimal?;
2. How high should the top of the spa be above the pool, as we do not want it at the same level as the pool for ease of getting in (would be nice to have a "waterfall" flowing into the pool from 12-18" height)? We would be able to step in from the sun shelf if needed.
3. Depth of the sun shelf - we have heard that 6" is the "standard", but it depends on the type of furniture you plan on putting on the shelf, as floating equipment can be an issue? A couple people wished they had 9" depth.
4. Optimal number of water jets - we were advised that 6 can be handled by most pumps, but that we need two pumps if we wanted to increase that number? Positioning of water jets - is it best we actually sit in spa during construction to show them where we want them?
Many thanks!
Stay safe!

Last edited:
We live in Venice, FL after retiring and moving down from the Chicagoland area.
HI and WELCOME fo Florida!!! I love your area! I hope they are treating you nice there!!

a 6' square spa (with at least 6 water jets)
First off.............have you sat in any of your friends plaster spas? Did you like it? I just want to make sure you have tried one out before you pay for one.It is nothing like a stand alone spa as far a comfort and jets.

Now saying that look what I have for you!!! JetPak Hot Tub Therapy System - Relaxation & Relief | Bullfrog Spas How neat are these?? I will let you research these but the people who put them in their spas loved them. Of course now I can't find their threads :(

This requires us to have a "bench" in the deep end according to local code.
What is the purpose of this bench? Can you just put one in each corner and leave the middle open for flip turns and such? I would really look into that idea. It looks neat, allows your to swim the whole pool, give people a place to chill in the deep end as well as giving them a place to get out of the pool in the deep end.

Reviews of the Pentair MagicBowls with Water Effects. How high a pedestal is optimal?;
I am going to call in someone who knows this kind of stuff. @bdavis466 any input?

How high should the top of the spa be above the pool, as we do not want it at the same level as the pool for ease of getting in (would be nice to have a "waterfall" flowing into the pool from 12-18" height)? We would be able to step in from the sun shelf if needed.
Let us see your fav design and I bet we can help with this part. I have some ideas but need to see what you are thinking about. You do NOT want the spa to block your view of the pool from the house..............lets see what you have so far.

Depth of the sun shelf -
sit on the floor.............where do you think you want the water to hit you if you are sitting on the shelf? Do you think you want to put chairs or loungers on the shelf? If so do you want your bum in the water or out of the water.

The answers to these questions will help dial your pool in!! I look forward to helping you spend your money! LOL

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Holtby57
Hiya Holtby :) I'm just gonna toss out that you will want a Salt Water Chlorine Generator. That will take care of your sanitation chlorine needs.

A lot of folks in FL also have heaters so ask your friends if they have/use one and how they feel about them? If you do decide to get ome its nice to do during pool installation so that the equipment pad is spaced for it at the git go.

a simple robot will serve your needs for cleaning....with a side benefit of brushing the walls too. Don't let the pool builder try to push a pressure or suction type cleaner off on you (using a separate pump to power). Those are ancient tech.

You DO want a variable speed pump. NOT a varianble speed flow type pump though.

Welcome to TFP :) Glad to have you join us!

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.