Please help with my design

NickCYC

Nov 10, 2019
Orlando, FL
Hi everyone, we are building a pool in central FL and finalizing the design. We don’t have much space to work with , but here’s what we have come up with. I am definitely increasing the spa size to 6x8’, but I would love some critique, feedback or any ideas. Thanks!

Pool Dimensions:
14.5 x 31
Depth 3.5 to 5.5
Hayward equipment

Attachments

• IMG_0636.jpeg
    IMG_0636.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0635.jpeg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    321.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0634.jpeg
    IMG_0634.jpeg
    287.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0633.jpeg
    IMG_0633.jpeg
    357 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0632.png
    IMG_0632.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 66
Would do min depth of 4'. I have 3.5' and it stinks. I wind up kneeling when in that end of the pool.

The tanning ledge/baja deck whatever you want to call it may be too short for loungers, if that is your intention. Double check whatever you want to put there to make sure it will fit.

Pool and spa lights you will want facing away from the house so as not to blind you when you look out from the house.

--Jeff

Reactions: NickCYC
+1 on the depth. 3' is uncomfortably shallow. Ours is 3'8" and pretty good but most people gravitate to the 4' to 4.5' section.

Thank you for the feedback. Our youngest is 8 and likes to swim laps. Our first design had the spa outside the pool, but we had to deck space so we scrapped it. What are your thoughts?
Hi there :). Do you have kids? Does anyone want to do some lap swimming in the future? If so perhaps the spa could go outside of the pool space and allow for more swimming room within?

Maddie :flower:

How badly do you want a spa? Have you had one before? Especially a gunite/plaster one?

Those tend to be the questions I see get asked of people when considering space and spa…. A spa adds another level of headache and maintenance and equipment. Could you put a stand-alone hot tub somewhere else if you really want one? Etc

Would do min depth of 4'. I have 3.5' and it stinks. I wind up kneeling when in that end of the pool.

The tanning ledge/baja deck whatever you want to call it may be too short for loungers, if that is your intention. Double check whatever you want to put there to make sure it will fit.

Pool and spa lights you will want facing away from the house so as not to blind you when you look out from the house.

--Jeff
Thank you for the feedback. You’ve definitely convinced me to consider going a little deeper. I am only 5’ so it’s not a problem for me but it may not work for anyone else.

We are going with the ledge lounger chairs that sit upright so we are good there.

I hadn’t even considered the lights. Thanks for that.

How badly do you want a spa? Have you had one before? Especially a gunite/plaster one?

Those tend to be the questions I see get asked of people when considering space and spa…. A spa adds another level of headache and maintenance and equipment. Could you put a stand-alone hot tub somewhere else if you really want one? Etc
Very badly. Lol. We had a gunite spa in our last pool and used it regularly. I would love a stand-alone but our HOA doesn’t allow it.

Re depth - if you have a swimmer the shallow depth they may hit the bottom on turns and maybe even on strokes. Also kids tend to gravitate towards the deeper ends for jumping and playing and stuff in my experience

Very badly. Lol. We had a gunite spa in our last pool and used it regularly. I would love a stand-alone but our HOA doesn’t allow it.
Could you push the spa out more … leave the pool a rectangle with the spa in the corner and design the spa into a spa and hard scape:landscape feature for that corner?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Could you push the spa out more … leave the pool a rectangle with the spa in the corner and design the spa into a spa and hard scape:landscape feature for that corner?
That was actually our first design but our PB recommended leaving more deck space. I do like the idea of the hard scape feature so maybe they can play with it more.

Get the largest cartridge filter possible. 200 isn't big enough.

Since you're getting a SWCG, delete the tab feeder.

If it was me, I’d look at upsizing the pump toO. A larger variable speed pump will be more efficient and lower RPM. Ar lower rpm you will use order of magnitude less watts then higher RPM. With a salt cell if you want to run 24/7 you want to run low RPM in order to really save operating cost. It’s not necessarily the size of the pump. It’s the operating efficiency at the lower speeds that is the factor between a smaller and a larger pump.

For instance i have a 3 hp pump at at 1200 rpm (my SWG sweet spot) it uses 74 watts. At medium speed (2400 rpm) it uses 1200 watts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.