Just signed the contract, please comment on my build sheet!

jaymantx

Silver Supporter
Apr 3, 2018
Houston/TX
Hi guys,

I am so glad to find this forum for pool owners!!! I have been pretty active in car forums, and love the community aspect of helping each other! I am a noob seeking information and advices for now, but I look forward to learning a lot through my pool build, and helping out others in the future.

Well, I just signed the contract and wrote the deposit check! After meeting with 11 pool builders (3 fiberglass and 8 gunite pool builders). I decided to go with a SWG (Thanks TFP!!) gunite pool.

Here is my build sheet. I don't have specific part numbers on equipment yet, but PB is supposed to email me that within a few days. I would appreciate your feedback:

Geometric Pool:
Perimeter: 116'
Width & Length: 15'-17' X 36' (44' if spa is included)
5'X7' tanning ledge
1 X bubbler on tanning ledge
3 X 18" scupper water features
Depth: 3.5'-5.5'
Area: 524 sqft
Volume 17,685 gals

Spa:
7'X9'
6 jets
Raised 12"
2 infinity edge spillways to main pool

Reinforcing:
#3 bars 8"x8' o.c. both ways on floor & walls
(4) #4 bars continuous in 12" x 14" bond beam

Gunite:
4000 psi pneumatically applied (6 sack mix)

Coping:
Travertine

Waterline Tile:
6" standard

Plaster:
White Satin Pebble Sheen - (Might switch color)

Equipment (PB will provide part numbers):
Hayward VS 3HP pool pump
Hayward 520 sqft cartridge filter
Hayward 400K btu heater with gas line hook up -> Replaced with Raypak 406A cupro-nickel
Hayward Salt System (I asked for the model big enough to cover 40,000 gal)
Hayward 1 hp Water Feature Pump
Hayward 8 function Remote System -> Replaced with Omnilogic and apps
Iphone App Control (PB will confirm if it's Omnilogic)
2 X 5G Color LED Pool Lights
1 X 5G Color LED Spa Light
1 X LED Color globe Light on Tanning Ledge
1.5 hp silencer Blower
Robot pool cleaner
2 Surface Skimmers
5 X 1.5" directional return inlets in pool
4 X main drains for pool with antivortex covers
2 X main drains for spa with antivortex covers
Paramount UV Sanitizer/Ozonator Combo (I might cancel this) -> Replaced with TX :sun:

Plumbing:
Sch. 40 PVC on all pool piping
Separate main drain line and skimmer lines with valving
Autofill

Deck:
675 sqft Travertine Pavers
4" PVC pipe deck drains out to street

Rendering sizes are little off due to last minute changes.

2018-05-01 19_50_22-Pulliam Pools - jayboy78@gmail.com - Gmail.jpg2018-05-01 19_50_40-Pulliam Pools - jayboy78@gmail.com - Gmail.jpg2018-05-01 19_50_05-Pulliam Pools - jayboy78@gmail.com - Gmail.jpg2018-05-01 19_51_13-Pulliam Pools - jayboy78@gmail.com - Gmail.jpg2018-05-01 19_51_27-Pulliam Pools - jayboy78@gmail.com - Gmail.jpg

That looks to be a great project. Nice list. I agree with your thought to cancel the UV/Ozonator. You should get plenty of TX :sun: to cover any oxidizing requirements. Congrats, and let us know how things turn out. Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I really like the design! Something for every one! NICE!

I would love to see where this wonderful pool is going.

Get us those model numbers so we can make sure the are the right size for your pool!

Kim:kim:

That looks to be a great project. Nice list. I agree with your thought to cancel the UV/Ozonator. You should get plenty of TX :sun: to cover any oxidizing requirements. Congrats, and let us know how things turn out. Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Thanks! Yeah I figured TX Sun is strong enough... ;)

I really like the design! Something for every one! NICE!

I would love to see where this wonderful pool is going.

Get us those model numbers so we can make sure the are the right size for your pool!

Kim:kim:

Thank you! I am debating if I should install an outdoor camera to document the progress.. I see that some people uploaded time-lapse videos. Those were fascinating to watch!!

Looks nice. Subd.

Thank you! Hopefully it turns out the way we designed it.

TFP is already paying off!! After reading bunch of TFP threads until the wee hours, I decided to switch my heater from Hayward to Raypak 399K BTU cupro nickel.. And, replace Hayword 8 function remote system (Prologic or AquaPlus) to Omnilogic. I don't need that clunky TI-85 calculator look alike remote. Hopefully price of swapping these equipment are about the same.

That looks really good and well thought out. Can tell you did research.

Here's my 0.02, if I were buying a house that had this pool, I would be a little bummed the deep end was only 5.5 feet. I have a ginormous deep end and there is nothing we like better after yard work, cycling etc than jumping in the deep end and sinking allllll the way to the bottom. Or while sitting in the sun if I get hot I like to dive in one side and get out on the other and 5.5 seems a little shallow for diving? I guess you could cannonball and get the same thing :)

Anyway, looks nice, can't wait to see the project and finished project.

That looks really good and well thought out. Can tell you did research.

Here's my 0.02, if I were buying a house that had this pool, I would be a little bummed the deep end was only 5.5 feet. I have a ginormous deep end and there is nothing we like better after yard work, cycling etc than jumping in the deep end and sinking allllll the way to the bottom. Or while sitting in the sun if I get hot I like to dive in one side and get out on the other and 5.5 seems a little shallow for diving? I guess you could cannonball and get the same thing :)

Anyway, looks nice, can't wait to see the project and finished project.

Thanks for your input! My wife and I are more of loungers/floaters(?), and occasional cannonballers.. LOL I am 5'9", and my wife is 5'3". Kids are 2 and 5 years old. So, we wanted the deep end depth to be just enough that adults can tip-toe around and fairly safe for kids. I did go back and forth between 5.5' and 6'. Also, I have to pay more to go deeper than 6'... HMM, something to ponder about until the digging begins...

I was a little unsure about 5 X 1.5" return pipes, since every other estimates I received were using 2" or 2.5" pipes. So, I did some more reading on TFP... Sure enough I learned that larger the pipping, the better... I just shoot off an email to my PB that I want 2" return pipes and 2.5" suction pipes. Hopefully PB doesn't put up a fight...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.