Just received my Nautilus; to leave it in or take it out?

Jun 17, 2014
New Hampshire
Got my first robot this past week and love it so far! I picked the Dolphin Nautilus with Clever Clean and I'm tempted to leave it in the pool and run a schedule. My question is for those of you that have done this, are you experiencing any significant reliability issues leaving it in? I have mine running under the solar cover at the moment which I would think would keep the sun damage to a minimum. Your thoughts?

I always remove mine, rinse out the basket and hose the unit off....BUT, that's because I'm home all the time, I have the caddy for it and it's not a difficult task to perform. Others leave them in a week at a time before pulling and cleaning. Unless your pool water chemistry gets really bad, leaving it in is not an issue. The repair tech at my local shop said that the official line from Dolphin is to pull them but that he has never seen a failure associated with that. His opinion was that a little due-diligence and preventative maintenance (like visually checking the unit for blockages or junk in the impeller) and that will more than offset any problems associated with leaving them in the pool.

Up to you and what works best in your schedule.

My personal opinion is to remove it each day and rinse out filters every 2 to 3 uses minimum (i do mine every other day). I did extensive research before investing in the Oasis z5. Most of the pool shops (other than Leslie's) and pool cleaning companies by me advise against them because they are expensive to fix, so I wanted to do my own research. After all, a good cleaner makes pool cleaning companies unnecessary so I didn't value their opinion too much. I spoke with a lot of long time owners and repair shops. The people who had issues with their units after 2 or 3 years left their units in all the time. The people who had units for 4, 5 or 6 years took them out regularly. Yes, a lot of the units have scheduling programs so that you can leave them in, but lets think about this for a minute. This is a piece of electronic equipment made of plastic sitting in water that is treated with chlorine, which is corosive. The only thing that keeps the water out of the electronics is some gaskets. If they are constantly sitting in the water, the gaskets will fail and the water will get into the electronics, probably right around the end of the warranty. Why wouldn't the repair shops and manufacturers tell you its ok to leave it in. When the gaskets fail, you have to spend $400-$600 for a new motor or just buy a new robot. Either way, they win. Thats why I always encourage people to get a unit with a good warranty and make that more important than the "gimick features."

Im not saying there isn't a place for the scheduling programs because there is. I think they are good if your are going away for a few days or a week or something like that. In that case, yes, put the robot in and set a schedule so you don't come home to a dirty pool. But if you are around, IMHO you're asking for trouble down the road by leaving it in all the time. Robotic cleaners are a big investment and we want them to last as long possible

This is best assuming you can get it out and get it inside or someplace completely away from the sun. At my old house this wasn't really feasible and I did my best to keep it out of direct sunlight and covered it as well, yet the seals would go every two months.

My personal opinion is to remove it each day and rinse out filters every 2 to 3 uses minimum (i do mine every other day). I did extensive research before investing in the Oasis z5. Most of the pool shops (other than Leslie's) and pool cleaning companies by me advise against them because they are expensive to fix, so I wanted to do my own research. After all, a good cleaner makes pool cleaning companies unnecessary so I didn't value their opinion too much. I spoke with a lot of long time owners and repair shops. The people who had issues with their units after 2 or 3 years left their units in all the time. The people who had units for 4, 5 or 6 years took them out regularly. Yes, a lot of the units have scheduling programs so that you can leave them in, but lets think about this for a minute. This is a piece of electronic equipment made of plastic sitting in water that is treated with chlorine, which is corosive. The only thing that keeps the water out of the electronics is some gaskets. If they are constantly sitting in the water, the gaskets will fail and the water will get into the electronics, probably right around the end of the warranty. Why wouldn't the repair shops and manufacturers tell you its ok to leave it in. When the gaskets fail, you have to spend $400-$600 for a new motor or just buy a new robot. Either way, they win. Thats why I always encourage people to get a unit with a good warranty and make that more important than the "gimick features."

Im not saying there isn't a place for the scheduling programs because there is. I think they are good if your are going away for a few days or a week or something like that. In that case, yes, put the robot in and set a schedule so you don't come home to a dirty pool. But if you are around, IMHO you're asking for trouble down the road by leaving it in all the time. Robotic cleaners are a big investment and we want them to last as long as possible.

- - - Updated - - -

My personal opinion is to remove it each day and rinse out filters. I did extensive research before investing in the Oasis z5. Most of the pool shops by me, other than Leslie's, and pool cleaning companies advise against them because they are expensive to fix, so I wanted to do my own research. After all, a good cleaner makes pool cleaning companies unnecessary so I didn't value their opinion. I spoke with a lot of long time owners and repair shops and the people who had issues with their units after 2 or 3 years left their units in all the time. The people who had units for 4, 5 or 6 years took them out regularly. Yes, a lot of the units have scheduling programs so that you can leave them in, but lets think about this for a minute. This is a piece of electronic equipment made of plastic sitting in water that is treated with chlorine, which is corosive. The only thing that keeps the water out of the electronics is some gaskets. If they are constantly sitting in the water, the gaskets will fail and the water will get into the electronics, probably right around the end of the warranty. Why wouldn't the repair shops and manufacturers tell you its ok to leave it in. When the gaskets fail, you have to spend $400-$600 for a new motor or just buy a new robot. Either way, they win. Thats why I always encourage people to get a unit with a good warranty and make that more important than the "gimick features."

Im not saying there isn't a place for the scheduling programs because there is. I think they are good if your are going away for a few days or a week or something like that. In that case, yes, put the robot in and set a schedule so you don't come home to a dirty pool. But if you are around, IMHO you're asking for trouble down the road by leaving it in all the time. Robotic cleaners are a big investment and we want them to last as long as possible.

It's working very well. My pool has very sharp corners (no radius) so it struggles to clean the inside corners but that's it. It sucks up everything, way better than my filter. It pulled up small rocks that I never knew were on the floor from my patio construction. Climbs the walls with no trouble and scrubs a couple inches over the waterline.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.