Just opened up yesterday. Results and stains.

Jul 21, 2013
Philly
Using my tf kit my results are...
Chlorine 0
PH 7.6
CH 200
TA 100
CYA 0
Salt 1600

so today i plan to head to home depot for salt and leslies for conditioner to being the cya up to 70.
One of my other concerns is that i have a lot of stains this year so i need your help while im out on what to pick up. Do i need a bottle of metal remover (i think thats what its called)? I tried researching on here first and i see something about vitamin C. Where do i get that? I seen some people use pucks or a sock filled with powder? Do i hve that correct? Whats the process?

Your signature is there. If you are looking at the forum on a phone, turn the phone sideways to see the signatures.

You use Vitamin C to identify if the stains are iron. Just get some cheap VitC tablets at a big box or drug store. Put them in a sock and crush them up. Set them on the stain and if it disappears quickly, it is iron.

You can normally get conditioner/stabilizer/CYA at Home Depot. It will be dry granules.
Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) and put the measured amount of CYA you need. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

If the CYA was very low, like less than 30ppm, then draining and winterizing could account for a CYA drop. If you normally run around 70 CYA and you closed with 70 CYA opening to 0 could indicate a problem. Is your pool full enough to run the pump? If so did you run the pump before testing the CYA?

I d
If the CYA was very low, like less than 30ppm, then draining and winterizing could account for a CYA drop. If you normally run around 70 CYA and you closed with 70 CYA opening to 0 could indicate a problem. Is your pool full enough to run the pump? If so did you run the pump before testing the CYA?
id not run the pump before testing cya. I can go test it now to be sure since pump os on 24 hrs now. Also i drain my pool down below the returns when i close so i just realized that could be it as well. My returns are about 18” down so i drain about 1/3 out. I take no chances since i am in PA with winterizing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I see Lowes carries it as stabilizer but it is clorox brand. From my research on this forum i am staying away from anything branded woth Clorox name.
That stabilizer\conditioner would be fine. Just have to be aware what you are buying.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.