Wichita, KS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Our PB opened our inground saltwater pool (20,000 gallons, vinyl liner) about 2 weeks ago and I’m just finally testing our water. Below are my results and I’m at a loss of where to go next….
FC 0.6 (side note: I have the Taylor K-2006 test kit and had to add 10 scoops of the initial DPD powder before there was ANY pink color, is that possible?)
CC 0.4
Ph 7.0
TA 130
CH 190
Salt 3000
Cya 0
Water temp 80
I might bring a sample to a pool store just to compare or maybe run the tests again tomorrow just to make sure I’m doing things right.

Welcome to the forum!
You have a quality test kit -- do not go to a pool store and let them confuse you!
Looks straight forward. You need some chlorine and CYA. Get 3 ppm FC in the pool, and 30 ppm CYA in the pool. Use liquid chlorine for the FC and CYA/stabilizer/conditioner using the sock method to add the CYA.
I suggest you read through Pool School - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

What Mr. Knauss said. You definitely need CYA. Also liquid chlorine is hard to find in some places right now. If you can’t find it where you’re at, calcium hypochlorite is a good option. You have some wiggle room as far as your calcium hardness is concerned.

There is a Menards in W Wichita. They typically are well stocked with liquid chlorine. Get some muriatic acid too, you will eventually need it.

Reactions: 257WbyMag
You only need to add one scoop of the DPD powder when using 10ml of water or two scoops with 25ml. If it the sample does not turn pink immediately then you have 0ppm FC in your sample.

Welcome to the forum!
You have a quality test kit -- do not go to a pool store and let them confuse you!
Looks straight forward. You need some chlorine and CYA. Get 3 ppm FC in the pool, and 30 ppm CYA in the pool. Use liquid chlorine for the FC and CYA/stabilizer/conditioner using the sock method to add the CYA.
I suggest you read through Pool School - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool
Will the pool math app help me with units I understand lol how do I figure out ppm?

Yes, use Poolmath. Enter your test results and then see what it says. Post what you get back here and a member will verify.

So when I’m using the pool math app and I’m trying to determine how much liquid chlorine I need, do I enter my CYA as 0 (what it currently is) or the ideal range of 70-80?
Also when trying to get my CYA calculation, is my goal around 70? I don’t want to overdo it as I’ve heard high CYA can be harder to fix…

So when I’m using the pool math app and I’m trying to determine how much liquid chlorine I need, do I enter my CYA as 0 (what it currently is) or the ideal range of 70-80?
Also when trying to get my CYA calculation, is my goal around 70? I don’t want to overdo it as I’ve heard high CYA can be harder to fix…
You need CYA or chlorine will burn off to the sun and the chlorine concentration you want to have will be too harsh and unbuffered. Get that dissolving in a sock hanging near the return. Start with enough to get to 40 or so, dissolve it all, wait a couple of days, test, add more if needed. Once the CYA is dissolving dose with liquid chlorine to take to target for 40 to start.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so start with the cya. Math app says I should add almost 7 pounds for a goal of 40. Retest and then work on chlorine? Sound ok?
Do you have any other chemical additions to your pool that have resulted in exactly the result you expected?
Are you absolutely sure your pool is 20,000 gallons?

If no to either question, add enough to get you to 30 CYA. Put in a sock in your skimmer or hang in front of a return. Wait 30 minutes for it to soften, the squeeze, squeeze, sqeeze the sock. I can get 7 lbs to dissolve, sqeezing for about 30 minutes. It will not hurt you.

Wait 24 hours after disolved and re-test CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.