Just installed SWCG - Cell Maintenance lights is on

alosito

Jun 24, 2019
Simi Valley, CA
I just installed a brand new Universal 40, and I am running my pump at 1300 rmp. The plan was to run the pump 24/7 at that speed to always generate a little chlorine. Both check salt and cell maintenance lights are on though. Am I supposed to do anything else besides all the plumbing and wiring? Is 1300 rmp an adequate speed to run my VS pump 24/7? I have been using liquid chlorine to maintain my pool. Am I supposed to somehow add salt to the pool now? Please advise. I am really new to SWG.IMG_6023.jpegIMG_6022.jpeg

If 1300 rpm is enough to keep the flow switch closed it is a good speed. As filter gets dirty the flow may go down so monitor for a while. What is your salt level now? You need to test the level then add enough to get to 3000-3500ppm. Need to read page 7 of your manual. SWG should be off until proper level is reached.
Bags of salt or your owner's manual will say how much to add to reach a certain level. Takes about a day for the reading in the SWG to stabilize.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Oh. If I have never added salt to my pool and been only using liquid chlorine for the past four years, should I assume my salt level is zero? I have TF-100 kit. I am guessing it can't test salt. What kit do you recommend I get to test salt?

All forms of manually added chlorine add salt 🧂 so don’t assume zero.
You need to test with a taylor k1766 before adding any- they sell it on tftestkits.

Better to take a sample to a pool store and have the salinity checked. The strips are not reliable.

The SWCG does not actually measure the salinity. It is inferring a salinity from the performance of the cell. The issue is, when the cell starts to report low salinity, you need to be able to get the actual salinity to be sure you really need to add salt, or if there is an issue with the SWCG control system or cell. So having the ability to test the real salinity of the water is needed.

The table on page 7. Are those numbers pounds?
Yes. Not unusual to add several hundred pounds of salt to get to the correct level.
If you started with fresh water in your pool you would need to add just under 15 40# bags, 584#.
But, unless your pool has been freshly filled, you already have some salt if you have ever used chlorine. You need to test as too much will require draining the water to lower the level of salt.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.