Just installed above ground pool, and then problems...

amadogon49

Jul 8, 2021
Bergenfield, NJ
So I just installed a Pool Factory Intrepid Aluminum Oval pool 12 x 24 x 54. Everything looked to be going fine, until this storm from Elsa hit, and the area around the pool got flooded (we were in between a finished pool and the backfill process). The pool is buried 12 inches below grade. Anyway, long story short the inundation of water around the frame of the pool caused sand to be washed out above the buttress supports that lay on the ground (attached to each other on opposite ends by metal straps). The divots I guess you can call them are about 5-8 inches wide, and they seem at least from the above to be about 2-3 inches deep. So in a way I'm extremely disappointed since this happened literally days after the pool went up. Anyway, here are my questions:

1) Repairing the divots: Do I simply drain the pool, remove the existing (practically new liner), fix the low areas, and re-install liner, or is too late to re-use the liner if I uninstall it.
2) The intention was to leave the backfill for after the electrical bonding, but is it required to have the electrical bonding at the same level as the base of the pool, which as I mentioned is 12 inches below original grade? If not, can I immediately backfill now after the repair and a separate trench will be created for the bonding?
3) I would like to somehow have a drainage system installed, or very good way to shed the water away from the pool walls after I backfill. Any good recommendations. The pool is in the yard one side, and the next to house on the other side, about 14 feet away, separated by a future deck that will be at equal level to the pool itself.

One additional question, unrelated to the sand issue above, but concerning the buttresses installed:

1) Is it normal for the vertical sections of the buttresses to be perfectly vertical, or are they by design meant to be a few degrees off inward/outward? Essentially is there anyway, to know if the buttresses were installed incorrectly by looking at them from the side, or possibly from inside the pool?

Thank You,
Amado

Actually, zea3, in terms of the french drain. The pool is below grade by 12 inches, where would the french drain be installed in relation to this depth,? How would it work with the cove that needs to be built for the water to shed, based on the manufacturers backfilling instructions, which states that the cove has to have a minimum height of 4 inches?

Sorry, this has taken a while to post the pics anyway, here they are. The ones labeled right side (back/front) supports are the ones I'm concerned about, they seem to lean out, not so much but wanted to see if this was a potential concern. The pool is approximately buried 12 inches below grade, but since my backyard is not perfectly level, you may see it unbalanced when you look at the pics of the entire pool. The pool is level. Thanks, Amado

Attachments

• Intrepid Oval 12 x 24 - Back.jpg
    Intrepid Oval 12 x 24 - Back.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Intrepid Oval 12x24 - Front.jpg
    Intrepid Oval 12x24 - Front.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Pool - Back Left Side Supports.jpg
    Pool - Back Left Side Supports.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Pool - Back Right Side Supports.jpg
    Pool - Back Right Side Supports.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Pool - Front Left Side Supports.jpg
    Pool - Front Left Side Supports.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Pool - Front Right Side Supports.jpg
    Pool - Front Right Side Supports.jpg
    564.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Pool - Left Top Side.jpg
    Pool - Left Top Side.jpg
    542.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Pool - Right Top Side.jpg
    Pool - Right Top Side.jpg
    566.1 KB · Views: 63
I’m having a hard time seeing what you mean. Have you held a level up to the legs that you fear are leaning?

From what i can see on your side wall leg supports, they have a slightly odd shape and its causing it to look like they are leaning in. They have what looks like a fade inwards from the top down to the lower third of leg where they flare back out. Just my thought on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.