Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My test kit arrived and I am already confused. I tested the ph and chlorine. Ph appeared to be 7.5. I couldn’t tell about the chlorine side because it was orange and there wasn’t a color to match it to. What’s this mean?

Your other thread -- what did you need accomplished? You started it with a psi question.

My pool has a dark finish. Over the past 3 years, I’ve noticed white patches here and there that do not brush off. They are spreading (see attached pic). I’ve been using a pool service. I’m trying to take over (I know nothing) and work at getting these patches to go away. Hardness level in pool is 420 so I don’t think that is the cause. Is the answer to keep my ph on the lower side of normal and over time and diligent brushing, they’ll wear off? Is that FC level far too high? I did recently fight an algae issue that has resolved (none over past two days). Do I wait for the sun to take the level down? And what number am I shooting for?

Attachments

• AD91E22B-BFE3-413D-88C6-D85E84F123EA.jpeg
    AD91E22B-BFE3-413D-88C6-D85E84F123EA.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 12
Btw, I assume it was an algae issue. When I would brush, a dark dust would brush up like a cloud. Water appeared clear otherwise. I would vacuum and still notice this stuff when I would brush to a lesser degree. Next day, it would be same as before I vacuumed. I cleaned the cartridge in the filter and after vacuuming, the pleats would look green. They don’t anymore.

Ok I will run the others. FYI, I feel unsure of myself in the testing right now (first time, just got my kit in the mail that I ordered per recommendations here). However, I am following the directions, step by step, one at a time, drop by drop and so on. So I have to assume that even though I’m unsure or confused from lack of experience, this is the way to go and I am doing it correctly. Overtime, I imagine this gets easier? Are you guys who have done this for a while looking at directions step by step or does it become memorized? 🤣

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes I have it but wasn’t sure how to use it 🤣.

Here are my test results

FC 21
CC .5
TC 21.5
TA 80
CH 600
CYA 80

Are you guys who have done this for a while looking at directions step by step or does it become memorized? 🤣
I've only been doing this for three months and I have all of them memorized. To be fair, I tested obsessively in the beginning (because... that's what I do), but it gets easier.

I ordered the TF-Pro refill kit in March while it was on sale even though the kit was bought in Jan because I tested so much early I knew I was going to run out. I will be into some of the new kit by the end of May, but I have slowed down testing now, especially with my SWG.

Reactions: Macyc
Use the smart stir!
After adding the sample to the correct line you throw the pill/cross thingy in & press the button so it “stirs” for you & all you need to focus on is the drops 👍🏻
I always need to read the ta, ch, salt instructions each time because I don’t do those that often but the others (fc,cc,ph, & cya) become 2nd nature.

Reactions: Macyc
pH still 7.5? Your CSI is getting high with that CH. Though I would doubt the white spots you see are from that. Likely just plaster inconsistencies. Likely will not go away.

Do you now know how to use the SmartStir?

I turned my pump flow rate down and swg percentage up per my first post here. If I’m testing how much chlorine I lose overnight, do I keep my swg at this new setting and go from there tomorrow? Or should I turn it down now since my FC is that high?

You need to turn the SWG off while you are doing an OCLT test.

If the SWG is generating chlorine you can't accurately determine how much chlorine, if any, was lost overnight.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I read the article. I will do the test as instructed. A side note, we have been having heavy downpour thunder storms for the past few days late afternoon lasting for several hours. Is this a bad time to do that test? It’s raining now but supposed to pass by 8 pm. So can I proceed with the test around 11 pm?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.