Just got a pellet grill - looking for grilling and smoking suggestions

I just bought MY WIFE a new Pit Boss pellet grill for Xmas. She seems to be unappreciative and demands that I learn to cook on it! Here I am....trying to do everything I can to make her life easier.! My model didn't come with the wifi/blutooth controller but I just ordered one they call legacy controllers for models that didn't originally come with them. I hate when she has to get up and out of the pool to check on things!
Reminds me of the episode of The Simpsons, when Homer buys Marge a bowling ball with HOMER inscribed on it.

Doing another pulled pork right now. Started a bit after ten this morning. Last I checked it was 185 degrees, end temp is 225. Right now we’re chilling with a couple friends in the hot tub with the umbrella over it as the snow falls and having a few beers.

Great start to 2021!
90CD9D60-AAD2-44E7-8721-A1648737D41B.jpeg

Fire up all the grills you have in that pic, and you might turn your backyard to spring 😂

ps- don’t eat that yellow snow

Haha yeah, we may just. I had the one grill, the previous owners left the other grill, then I got the pellet grill/smoker.

And yeah, my dog has never peed on the deck, until this snow. Fair enough, everything looks the same with the snow.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
Ha, fair enough. As someone who is sitting here waiting for his taste buds to start working again, I’m very jealous. Have fun and hope the pulled pork is awesome.

As someone who is sitting here waiting for his taste buds to start working again, I’m very jealous.
Do you have the COVID? I had it and also had my taste buds deactivated for a few days. If you do have it, I hope it’s mild and you get your taste back soon!

Reactions: JJ_Tex
Yes, Santa brought me the Covid. Very mild symptoms for all of us, almost like mild allergies and now this stupid taste thing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Brisket is my nemesis. I don't think I've ever eaten one the same day I start. I never time it right -- NEVER!
I always start brisket early in the a.m., usually by 6. It can rest for several hours in a cooler, so I’d rather it come off the smoker early than late. Harry Soo also has several YouTube videos on cooking brisket fast. I’ve never tried his techniques, although my Pit Barrel Cooker does the job in 5-6 hours, so that’s probably similar.

Brisket is my nemesis. I don't think I've ever eaten one the same day I start. I never time it right -- NEVER!
I will try a brisket at some point, but your statement is not too far off as I understand. The guy at amazingribs.com says for a typical brisket the brisket needs to be in the pre-heated smoker/grill at midnight. It'll come off around 3 pm and rest in a cooler for 3 hours before a 6 pm dinner. This was for cooking at 225 °F, obviously it could be done faster at higher temps but if my pulled pork was any indication low and slow is the way to go.

I could watch Aaron Franklin talk about brisket all day. Here is one of his videos which focuses on trimming the brisket, and I think is the most important part. I spend about an hour trimming mine up before I put it on. You want to remove most of the hard fat from the brisket before cooking since that will not render as well. Use a simple salt & pepper mix to season it, but dont go too heavy here.

After that, I smoke it at 225 using mesquite for 6-8 hours, then wrap it in foil for another 8-12 hours at 225, then finally put it in a cooler packed in beach towels for an hour before slicing.

Hey! Love my pellet smoker, I cook on it quite often. Some of my friends bash me about it not being a stick burner.... but they still eat my food. Ya'll should check out Malcom Reed on YouTube his channel is howtobbqright I have learned so much from his videos and have tried many of his recipes and have not had one come out bad yet.

Some of my friends bash me about it not being a stick burner.
I have a stick burner but rarely use it. Ribs and poultry go on the Pit Barrel and everything else goes on the Kettle/SnS. The only time I fire up the stick burner these days is when I’m cooking several briskets or turkeys and need the space. Otherwise, it’s just too much work with no appreciable difference in outcome.

I’m also a big Malcom Reed fan! If you’re interested in the science behind smoking, check out Meathead on amazingribs.com. Good stuff!

Reactions: jseyfert3
My purchased used Weber Silver series grill I've had for ten years needs some new parts. While I could probably get new burners, my friend suggested I get a pellet grill, as he got one and loves it. You can both grill and smoke on a pellet grill, and I've wanted to get a smoker for a while, so with the Menard's rebates from building the fence for our pool this spring I just picked up a Pitboss 820XL pellet grill today. Got it going right now for the initial burn-off of whatever stuff is on it after manufacturing.
full

On the menu for tonight is a copy of Longhorn Steakhouse Garlic Parmesan Chicken that my wife found and wants me to make. While I'm hoping the pellet grill improves the flavor of anything we grill, I'm quite a noob when it comes to grilling, and I've never smoked anything before. So if you've got any recipes, ideas, or suggestions, I'm all ears!

When this thing first lit up there's some smoke, and man was that some good smelling smoke. I am excited to start using this thing!

You still enjoying the Pit Boss? I know you haven't had it long. I'm thinking about picking one up myself. Would you buy it again?

You still enjoying the Pit Boss? I know you haven't had it long. I'm thinking about picking one up myself. Would you buy it again?
Yes, I'm still enjoying it. Done pulled pork twice, the chicken I mentioned 3 or 4 times, and burgers/brats/hot dogs, plus a thanksgiving turkey and some filet mignon. And one of those small quarter ham thingies that you can get at any grocery stores. And one pizza. Not sure if I'll do the pizza again but all the meat I've done has been great.

Searing on the grill? No good. AmazingRibs touches on this, says you can use a cast iron pan in the grill to do searing. I'm a steak cooking noob, when I did the filet mignon I planned a reverse sear and when I realized the grill couldn't do it I had to quickly heat up a cast iron pan on my stove to do the sear and finish them off. But smoking and regular grilling? Love it!

One note is that the manual doesn't cover is that the "P settings" are not just for smoking, but affect temp settings as well, especially lower temps. My grill was struggling to maintain temps at 225 °F for smoking here in the winter. It the temp would drop, the auger would kick in, but the flame would go out before the new pellets lit, so then the temp went way too low before climbing, and often overshoot a little. This went on until my friend who has one and was over told me the "P settings" affect it, we adjusted the P setting by 1 notch and then the grill did a way better job at holding a stable temp. The auger started kicking on sooner, so the temp didn't drop as much and the overshoot was reduced as it wasn't trying to pour in a ton of wood to get the temp back up.

You will probably want to clean it more often than a "regular" gas grill, including removing the grates and flame guard, and vacuuming out the the burner cup, but it's not super time consuming to do. I found a small drywall mudding tool worked well to scrape grease off the flame guard.

Currently yes, I'd buy it again.

Reactions: Kidswimin
I've actually used mine to bake a lasagna when my oven was being used for something else.

Also home-made jerky is amazing, lots of recipes online.

Probably my favorite thing that I use it all the time for is tri-tip -- but I think that cut is a west coast thing, or at least it used to be, you may not have it there.

Originally from the west coast, but we have tri tip here and love it!
Thanks for sharing

Question not directed to me, but I can give my opinion about the pit boss. I have the almost same model. Love it. Sold my stick burner because I will never use it again.
Also buy a smoke tube from amazon. Great accessory. Can even smoke cheese with you pit and the smoke tube. Best of luck

Reactions: Kidswimin
Also did some pulled pork few days ago on the BGEXL. Smoked it with some Pecan Wood(light smoke). Welcome to the Grill/Smoker side.
+1 on the Thermapen and also have the ChefAlarm for my inside oven, has magnets on the back, very handy.

6281CD45-E93B-4604-AB29-A220D430F530.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.