Just getting started

justagi said:
Linen - thanks for the advice. WE had been adding washing soda to the skimmers as well. We will continue to shut off the SWCG just for safety's sake until we have a better feel for things. Here are last night's test results:

Water temp - 75
Salt - 3600
PH - 7.2
FC - 14
CC - 0
TA - 100
CH - 50
CYA - 35

There is no CYA visable in the pool. We will add another 4 lbs tomorrow night if the CYA levels stay where they are.

By the way, the water takes a bit of getting used to when we first get in but it is nice already...

Wait a few more days before adding more CYA. It usually takes 3-5 days before you get a true reading. CYA is one you don't want to overshoot! The only way to remove it is draining water! I usually wait a week before even testing and then slowly walk it up when I get close. If the calculator says add 3 lbs. I add 2 and wait and see.

The Hoods

We've been away from the computer for a few days but have tried to keep up with the testing. We are going to testing every two days now that the values seem to be stabilzing. We had our first swimmers today and the neighbor is jealous of how the water looks.

Test results from two days ago:

We added two lbs of CYA since the pool calculator said to add 4 lbs. We did put it into a sock and are letting it dissolve thru the skimmer. We also back washed and hosed out the sand filter since it seems to be pushing grit thru one of the pipes. We always seem to have a pile of grit under one of the jets a day after we vacumn the pool. We also turn the SWCG back on at 40 percent 24hrs a day.

Water temp - 78
Salt - 3600
PH - 7.2
FC - 9
CC - 0
TA - 90
CH - 60
CYA - 30

Test results from tonight:
Water temp - 78
Salt - 3800
PH - 7.5
FC - 13
CC - 0
TA - 80
CH - 60
CYA - 35

The numbers seem to be bouncing around a little but seem to us to be consistent with what we are doing with the pool. Anyone see anything we are doing wrong?

Thanks again for all the great advice.
The Hoods

Its been a while but we thought we'd post one more set of test results on this thread just to finish out the topic.

Test results from tonight:
Water temp - 78
Salt - 3600
PH - 7.5
FC - 6.5
CC - 0
TA - 80
CH - 60
CYA - 30

We are running the SWCG 12 hours a day at 40%. We have not put anything into the pool for over two weeks other than the kids a few times, the dogs most every day, and one very large pool owner who actually swam a few laps with the k9's. We are using a TF-100 test kit and feel pretty confident that we have the testing process down now but we are concerning that the test results are maybe too consistant. Is that possible? The pool looks great other than the leaves from the nieghbor's trees but we keep after them every day. Does anyone see anything that we are missing or have any recommendations on what to do next? How about what to do with these 6 large jugs of bleach we bought when we first started the conversion to being TFP'ers?

The Hoods

Looks like you're doing great! :goodjob:

Don't worry about being "too consistant" and not having to add or adjust anything. I rarely have to do anything to my pool. It just keeps on keeping on. Hold onto those jugs. You can use them when winterizing this fall. Keep them stored indoors and they'll last that long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.