Just getting started in Frisco, TX

No major updates yet, but this weekend was a beating prepping the backyard. I sawed my bar in half and managed to get the piece I am saving into the garage. So no parking spot for me for the next 3 months. Please no major hail storms this fall. However, this was the hardest part for me. Next weekend, get rid of the old play set. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to take off a section of the fence for that!

rsz_2017-08-19_145958-1.jpg

rsz_2017-08-20_143021.jpg

I feel pretty confident that your PB is HCP.

I think you made a great choice. No affiliation with the company, they built mine last year. They finished my pool (dig to swim) in 45 days. Really did an outstanding job. However, that is because I stayed on their butts to finish it quickly, plus we had super dry stretch of summer. I would say it will take AT LEAST 4-5 months.

I was building the same time as other people in the area with different PBs and they took double the time and had way more headaches. But YMMV, I was dealing with the top guy.

They will have to tear down parts of the fence to get their vehicles into your yard. They took down the entire section of fence along the alleyway to get the excavator and bobcat in.

Also, 3 months is very aggressive, they started our pool in October and finished in late April. My philosophy was, "why rush them", can't really use the pool when it's cold outside. Also, ask about the types of mortar and thinset they are using, temperature can impact the durability of the product. We halted our pool builder for a couple of months because the temperature was going below 50 degrees. They were very agreeable since they had other pool builds going on. When the weather warmed back up they resumed and finished the pool.

Our neighbor put their stone in when it was really cold and now their coping is coming undone.

I preferred to push the pool builder harder on quality then on timeline, it was winter time. I kept repeating to them that I wanted whatever it took to get in a low maintenance, energy efficient pool. I had a good relationship with the pool builder throughout the process and feel that we have a very low maintenance pool.

My advice, spend the time becoming knowledgeable on the products they will be using. The installation of a pool is a lot like a partnership. They do the work but you have to make sure you are getting what you want, and if not, speak up before they are unable to fix the problem.

I preferred to push the pool builder harder on quality then on timeline, it was winter time. I kept repeating to them that I wanted whatever it took to get in a low maintenance, energy efficient pool. I had a good relationship with the pool builder throughout the process and feel that we have a very low maintenance pool.

My advice, spend the time becoming knowledgeable on the products they will be using. The installation of a pool is a lot like a partnership. They do the work but you have to make sure you are getting what you want, and if not, speak up before they are unable to fix the problem.

Yeah, I think it was really just had a great stretch of weather and I had some luck on contractors timeline.

My PB was really up to date on their tech, they allowed me to do all the equipment I wanted, including SWCG and VersaPlumb system on the Jandy heater. My maintenance and energy bill has been GREAT AKA Non existent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Depending on how old your heater is, they have a new bypass for the 400K heater. Increases the life of the heater and also reduces the amount of head loss. So far it's worked great. It works with the JXi heater that you have.

JXiVFKITVersaFlo Bypass Accessory Kit for JXi Heaters

One other note, gocubs418. Did they install the Savi LED lights? We had to have them all replaced, started changing colors rapidly, it's a known issue. There is a 2 year warranty on the lights. The older ones required pulling the entire wire through, the new ones only require replacing the cartridge (no wire pull). Something to keep an eye on while they are still in warranty.

One other note, gocubs418. Did they install the Savi LED lights? We had to have them all replaced, started changing colors rapidly, it's a known issue. There is a 2 year warranty on the lights. The older ones required pulling the entire wire through, the new ones only require replacing the cartridge (no wire pull). Something to keep an eye on while they are still in warranty.

Correct, they were Savi LEDs. I will keep an eye out on them.

I feel pretty confident that your PB is HCP.

Nope. They were on the list if the first two didn't pan out. I had originally wanted to interview a few more, but it's really time consuming and my commute stinks.

Ok, just did my first change order. Added the ball valve to the overflow line. Took out the Nature 2, but of course there isn't a credit since this was an incentive.... Upgraded to the iAqualink PS8 and added another LED light which I confirmed are spectrum lights.

They will have to tear down parts of the fence to get their vehicles into your yard. They took down the entire section of fence along the alleyway to get the excavator and bobcat in.

I understand. I would just replace the fence and put in a sliding gate, but neighbor on the opposite side still has the crappy 6' builder fence that was put in when the house was built 12 years. I have no idea how a storm hasn't taken this thing out. My concern is that if I put in a gate, then he'll try to get me to pony up some cash for his since I'll now be connected to his.

The Nature 2 did not save any money by eliminating it because the pool builder pays little or nothing for it. The manufacturer gets profit on it from you buying the overpriced and harmful cartridges.

Leave it out -- they are a menace.

Got HOA approval which is nice. No permit yet from the city, but I am told it should be any day now. The best part was when our electrical provider came out to the house, didn't have any plans or a site map and just asked us where the pool would be located. We pointed to the area and his response was "Looks good".

I've been spending my weekends removing everything from the backyard. The playset was a beast to move, but I am now down to the hot tub. I'll call and have someone haul it off as soon as I get a dig date.

rsz_2017-08-27_145758.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.