Just filled - Results added. Please help balance.

I am going to guess it's all because the piece of paper taped to counter in the store says if you have this reading in the pool, you need List A's stuff. If you are setting up a pools you need list B for a pool in the 10K-50K range, in ground (no mention of liner or construction)

I would add 3kg in socks and hung in front of the return jets. That should add about 46ppm of CYA. Get it dissolved, wait a week and test to see where you are at. Then you will want to add more to get up around 70ppm ... likely another 2kg should be good if you pool volume is pretty accurate.

Called IPG as well. The fools stated that their "recipes" are secret and hence do not list the ingredients of Salt One. Told them I need to know the ingredients and don't need the recipe..LOL Have kids who have allergies and need to know exactly what's in it.

Said they would email me the safety sheet for Salt One... Lets see...

jblizzle said:
I would add 3kg in socks and hung in front of the return jets. That should add about 46ppm of CYA. Get it dissolved, wait a week and test to see where you are at. Then you will want to add more to get up around 70ppm ... likely another 2kg should be good if you pool volume is pretty accurate.

Thanks. Will start that now. Is it ok to use the pool in the meantime? How long does it take to dissolve in the socks? Can it be added to the skimmer instead?

How many socks will I need to fill 3kg? :)

Depends how big your feet are ;)

Yes it is safe to swim while the CYA is dissolving. We do not recommend pouring it in the skimmer as then you do not know when it is dissolved. Just squeeze the socks every time you pass by. Initially maintain about 2ppm of FC in the water, once the CYA is dissolved, assume the CYA is then around 45 and keep the FC above 4ppm.

So I got IPG to send me the MSDS for Salt One :) Woo Hoo!!

Here is a link - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/778 ... 01112E.pdf

We could probably now solve this mystery once and for all as to what this product is.

Clipboard01.jpg

So.. Should I use it since I have it or not?

Wow... I thought MSDS were supposed to be easy to find for "Salt One" by IPG. Looks to me like IPG is a pool sales group where local stores can buy IPG branded stuff.

Now clue whats in it. I would talk it back for that simple reason or make the dealer cough up the MSDS they are supposed to have in the binder available for public review.

Well, the second line is CYA (I think :scratch: ), so that would be good. The first line is adding borates, which I would not suggest dealing with right now it is kind of a pH stabilizer and changes the surface tension of the water. Off the top of my head, I do not know what the last 2 lines are.

Problem is I am not sure how to determine how much CYA and borates that would add.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Its 30-60% boric and 30-60% CYA so they don't even know whats in it. It's likely supposed to be 50-50 but who knows, they don't.

Sounds like I would prefer two boxes, 100% cya and 100% borax from Wal_Mart and know what i was dealing with.

Calcium Plus isn't needed in a vinyl pool, and de-icing salt is cheaper. Pool sparkle is not needed, and its ingredients are a mystery. I don't know what the salt shock is. Shock plus is cal-hypo with a bunch of other calcium, and you do not need it. Bleach is always better than cal-hypo, especially with a vinyl pool.

Will be going to get my water tested today. Will try going to the PB's store as well as another one to see how the results compare to each other as I am waiting on a test kit.

Question - I saw some bleach at our Costco. Its labelled as Springtime and sells 3 x 5L (total of 15L) for $6. There is no mention of how much sodium hypochlorite there is so I contacted the manufacturer and they sent the MSDS.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7786569/Pool Construction/0000-0115 Springtime Bleach Eng.pdf

Says 2.5% - 5.5% on the MSDS. What % can I use for calculations? 3%

What do you think of the price for this bleach?

Thanks!

Went to PB store and another store for testing.

PB uses "Pool Protect" from IPG. They have a sign at the store that says that they do testing on the condition that you buy their (IPG) chems.

The other store does testing using a Taylor Kit. The other store does not ask that you have to buy any chemicals from them. They do free testing with no obligations.

Results from PB store:

Salt: 3400
FC: 1
TCL: 1
PH: 7.8
APH: 7.8
TA: 120
ATA: 120
CYA: 5
CA: 130

They asked that I should:
1. Add 400g of PH Minus
2. Add 10.4Kg of Calcium Plus
3. Use 6.7Kg of Salt One or 1kg of Stabilizer

Results from other store (they did fewer tests, only what I have posted below):

Chlorine: 2 (not sure if this is CC, FC or TC). I think it's TC.
PH: 7.6
CYA: 0

Which results should I use? A little ticked off that results vary.

Also - just spoke to PB. There was a rust mark (size of a quarter) on the wall of the pool. I could feel some bump there and the rust just washed off on wiping. He thinks that it may be a pinhole.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.