Just filled - Results added. Please help balance.

I would not use any of the results.

How much stabilizer have you added? Clearly it can not truly be near zero.

Although you certainly need to be adding more bleach to get the FC higher.

jblizzle said:
I would not use any of the results.

How much stabilizer have you added? Clearly it can not truly be near zero.

Although you certainly need to be adding more bleach to get the FC higher.

So here is what we added last Friday.

1. 20Kg of Salt
2. 5Kg of Salt One (against personal preference, we ended up using it since it was free from the builder and the MSDS showed that it had CYA)

That is all we have added.

So you bought a bunch of stabilizer and then chose to ignore the recommendation to add 3kg?

I have no idea how much CYA the 5kg of Salt One should have added ... so maybe you are still near zero and have now delayed getting things under control by another 5 days.

I thought we determine the Salt one was 30-65 CYA but that is was likely a 50/50 so the 5kg added about 2.5 kg of CYA to the pool.

PoolCalulator.com said:
Effects of adding chemicals

Adding 2500 g of CYA will raise CYA by 38 and lower pH by 0.7.

Note: pH calculations are not exact. These numbers are only suggestive of the relative magnitude of the pH change you can expect. Small changes, +-0.4, with pH between 7.2-7.8, TA around 80-120, and Borate near zero will be approximately correct. The further you go from those ranges the less these pH changes will correspond to reality.

Liner is going to be replaced again!!!

We are so mad with how many issues the liner has had. The first one had a leak within 4 days and was replaced. The second one I think had a pebble between the liner and steel wall and has another leak within a week.

This will be the third liner in three weeks.!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Shaf77 said:

We are so mad with how many issues the liner has had. The first one had a leak within 4 days and was replaced. The second one I think had a pebble between the liner and steel wall and has another leak within a week.

Glad we didn't waste our stabilizer... We will need to drain, refill, heat, balance, etc all over again.

Shaf77 said:
Shaf77 said:

Glad we didn't waste our stabilizer... We will need to drain, refill, heat, balance, etc all over again.

How annoying! I would be spitting blood. Look on the bright side, by the time it is replaced you will hopefully have a good testing kit, and will be starting from scratch.

OliveGrove said:
Shaf77 said:
Shaf77 said:

How annoying! I would be spitting blood. Look on the bright side, by the time it is replaced you will hopefully have a good testing kit, and will be starting from scratch.

Am fuming to have to do this all again 3 times in 3 weeks.

So just to make sure we are on the right path now;

PB will add 10 bags of salt when we fill. That's all.

Should I add some bleach and CYA as we fill?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would start with enough bleach for 4fc and enough CYA for a target of 30ppm. Once you get the pool filled and running correctly, you can work on adjusting your salt and other levels.

Use only chlorine for chlorination and solid CYA for its adjustment. You might need some other minor adjustment, based on testing results from the TF.

After you get stable, pass an OCLT, and the salt corrected, you can start the SWG and move your CYA up to a SWG range. Continue using the bleach as your primary chlorinator until the SWG is making enough FC that you are not adding bleach each day. Keeping your CYA early will allow to SLAM cost effectively in case you need to after the new liner is in and until you pass your OCLT.

techguy said:
I would start with enough bleach for 4fc and enough CYA for a target of 30ppm. Once you get the pool filled and running correctly, you can work on adjusting your salt and other levels.

Use only chlorine for chlorination and solid CYA for its adjustment. You might need some other minor adjustment, based on testing results from the TF.

After you get stable, pass an OCLT, and the salt corrected, you can start the SWG and move your CYA up to a SWG range. Continue using the bleach as your primary chlorinator until the SWG is making enough FC that you are not adding bleach each day. Keeping your CYA early will allow to SLAM cost effectively in case you need to after the new liner is in and until you pass your OCLT.

Thanks!

Didn't know that the SWCG should not be on until later.

PB has been adding the 10 bags of salt when the put the new liner and fill and been turning on the SWCG.

So the 10 bags of salt is ok, and I should leave the SWCG off. Add enough bleach and CYA then let it run and test before turning on SWCG?

Really appreciate the help.

I would... leave the SWG off until you are clean and balanced. It simplifies the balancing process as you know exactly what has been added (bleach,cya) and how much. With the SWG adding, you cannot tell of you are losing any FC to algae or other organics. When you get closer to clean and balanced, you can add the SWG and then you can determine how much SWG run time and power level is required. You will still need bleach during this time for any "make-up" FC until you get the SWG dialed in.

The salt is not a factor and the bleach will be adding very slight amounts. Some people add salt tot he water for the feel anyway, not just for SWG.

Change in plans.

PB has had manufacturer make a new liner for us. He has suggested that he won't change it until the fall before we close the pool as he has patched the small hole and it's holding.

So.. for now, I should balance the water and enjoy it for the summer.

I am adding CYA today 3kg and 2L of 6% bleach.

Is that ok?

I would like to apologize for not following the recommendations the first time around. I feel that maybe no one is responding to any more of my questions due to my stupid decision of using salt one.

As a newbie, and after reading the msds for salt one, I thought that maybe it may help with adding CYA. I was wrong and once again I want to say sorry to all those who have been helping me.

I am still waiting on my test kit and added the hth stabilizer and 2l of bleach yesterday.

Will test in a few days and hopefully get some help.

Hey, we understand! Almost everyone here is because we were pool stored and the methods suggested either failed or were too expensive ... Or both.

I don't know the liner answer other than to say, if you did it at the end of the season, you could go directly to winterized if you did it in the spring... Right into active use.

techguy said:
Hey, we understand! Almost everyone here is because we were pool stored and the methods suggested either failed or were too expensive ... Or both.

I don't know the liner answer other than to say, if you did it at the end of the season, you could go directly to winterized if you did it in the spring... Right into active use.

Thanks.

Everyone here is amazing and I am so glad to have the support.

I will retest the water in a few days and post the results to see where I stand.

Tested today and here are my results:

Slat: 3000
FCL: 3
TCL: 3
CCL: 0
PH 7.6
TA: 90
CYA: 25
CA: 100

I will ignore CA as we have a vinyl pool.

The recommendations in pool school for a salt water pool are:

To summarize:
FC 3-5 ppm
PH 7.5-7.8
TA 60-80
CH
50-300 for vinyl
220-320 for fiberglass
250-350 for plaster
CYA 70-80
Salt 200-400 ppm ABOVE recommended optimum level
Borates 30-50 ppm (optional)

Using pool calc, it asks me to:

1. Add 6oz of muriatic acid
2. Add 104oz of stabilizer
3. Add 72lb of salt

Questions:

1. Should I add acid or stabilizer first?
2. Add all the stab now or half now and half later?
3. Do I need to add to salt? I believe the SWCG levels say btw 3000-3500. So do I need to add since I am in the range?
4. CSI shows as -0.61. Is that ok?
5. Based on these recommended levels (pool-school/recommended_levels) - should I use the levels of vinyl with SWG or bleach?

The stabilizer will help to lower the pH, so I would just get the stabilizer in a sock and dissolving in front of a return jet. I would initially shoot for about 50-60ppm, wait a week, retest and make the final addition.

What salt level is the SWG reading? It just needs to be happy. Oddly mine was reading 3100 ppm a few days ago, added another bag (should add 250ppm) and today it was reading 3800ppm :scratch: Whatever, still seems to be happy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.