Just filled. Now what??

Jun 10, 2020
Cecil County Maryland
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Complete pool newbie in Maryland. Just filled our Summer waves 16x48 (5000 gal) pool with town water. It’s level within an inch!! So proud of that but now what? I had already bought a hth test kit before I read everyone suggests the Taylor. What is the first thing I put in? I read a lot on here about using regular bleach but I already had bought a Clorox 3” xtraclean chlorine tabs and a dispenser. What is the first thing I need to put in it? It household bleach really better than liquid chlorine? I know that they are practically the same. 🤷‍♀️ I’m lost!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: So after you review our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and save those Vital Links below in my signature, you'll look to do the follow at first:
1. New water has no stabilizer (CYA) in it. So add enough to get the CYA to at least 30 for now. See link below.
2. Add just enough liquid chlorine (regular bleach) to increase the FC to about 3 ppm for today. After that, keep the FC and CYA balanced together as noted on the FC/CYA Levels
-- Stay away from teh Clorox bleach and use no bleaches that say splashless or scented.
3. Make sure your pH is in the 7 range. Ideally 7.4-7.8, somewhere in there.

Later, post a full set of results and we can help coach you more. Enjoy. :swim:

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Reactions: Amanda Sanborn
household bleach really better than liquid chlorine?
Household bleach is the best (easiest to find and cheapest) source of liquid chlorine. You might be able to find other sources of liquid chlorine in different concentrations. Compare prices and concentrations to see what is best in your area. But we don't recommend Clorox as it contains extra stuff you don't want in your water. Just plain store brand bleach is usually the best.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: So after you review our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and save those Vital Links below in my signature, you'll look to do the follow at first:
1. New water has no stabilizer (CYA) in it. So add enough to get the CYA to at least 30 for now. See link below.
2. Add just enough liquid chlorine (regular bleach) to increase the FC to about 3 ppm for today. After that, keep the FC and CYA balanced together as noted on the FC/CYA Levels
-- Stay away from teh Clorox bleach and use no bleaches that say splashless or scented.
3. Make sure your pH is in the 7 range. Ideally 7.4-7.8, somewhere in there.

Later, post a full set of results and we can help coach you more. Enjoy. :swim:

My kit says it only has enough to test CYA twice. I’d it something I have to check often or once it’s good it will stay good? Is any brand stabilizer ok? I didn’t get to the store today but will in the morning. Should I wait until the stabilizer is in and good before I put in the bleach? How do I add bleach? Pour directly into filter? Right now the ph is 7 without doing anything yet.

My kit says it only has enough to test CYA twice. I’d it something I have to check often or once it’s good it will stay good? Is any brand stabilizer ok? I didn’t get to the store today but will in the morning.
You have a new pool, so once you add CYA, assume it's there, unless issues arise later with FC :) Use PoolMath (or the app) to see how much stabilizer you need to target CYA/30 Any brand will do, you can use stablized chlorine tablets or pucks AT START-UP if you aren't able to find stabilizer (an issue in some areas). Use the "Effects of Adding Chemicals" to see how many to use to target your CYA/30

Should I wait until the stabilizer is in and good before I put in the bleach? How do I add bleach? Pour directly into filter? Right now the ph is 7 without doing anything yet.
Please, NEVER pour any chemicals into the filter/skimmer etc! (with the exception of DE powder, but that is a different discussion). Your PH is low-safe. You can add liquid chlorine, target FC/3 until you have stabilizer onhand ready to put in pool :)

So just pour the bleach into the pool? Pool math says I need like 3cups 7oz. Does that sound right?
If the % in the app is the same as on the bottle, then yes :) I have large plastic quart meeasuring cup that I use exclusively for my pool chems, as with our smaller pools, we need more precise additions than the big pool players ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.