Just Discovered TFP, Just Opened Goliath Pool, Just Reconsidered My Life Choices

WELLLLLLLLLLLL I wish I had the towel I dipped in some bleach by accident to show you. All I did was dip a small spot in the bleach. I rinsed it off right away BUT it ate a HOLE right through it! Of course that was cloth and not liner or plastic but it shows you the power of bleach.

Kim

It can fade the liner. There is a reason we have the controlled SLAM process instead of the pool store nuclear method.
You should maintain the normal shock level, but you should certainly not raise it higher than the mustard shock level.

I have lost track of what your CYA level is or I would have posted the shock values ... did you ever get a CYA reading or is it still just < 30ppm?

At 20ppm, you should not take the FC > 14ppm
at 30ppm, you should not take the FC > 19ppm

Like I said, ideally you just maintain the normal shock level of 10-12ppm.

WELLLLLLLLLLLL I wish I had the towel I dipped in some bleach by accident to show you. All I did was dip a small spot in the bleach. I rinsed it off right away BUT it ate a HOLE right through it! Of course that was cloth and not liner or plastic but it shows you the power of bleach.

Kim

Haha fair enough!

- - - Updated - - -

I have lost track of what your CYA level is or I would have posted the shock values ... did you ever get a CYA reading or is it still just < 30ppm?

At 20ppm, you should not take the FC > 14ppm
at 30ppm, you should not take the FC > 19ppm

Like I said, ideally you just maintain the normal shock level of 10-12ppm.

CYA is still < 30, but I suspect it is at least 15 or so by this point. I've had 5 lbs. stabilizer in socks for about 3 days now, and each day I gave them a few good squeezes.

The thing to remember is that you can lose a huge amount of cl to the sun. If you dingo to mustard level ( I wouldn't go beyond that) do it at night. You get the best bang for your cl buck that way.

After CYA is dissolved it takes up to a week to show up on the test, so I would assume that the dissolved CYA is there and working. Obviously whatever is left in the sock isn't working yet and shouldn't be accounted for.

Thought you guys might like this. This is a picture of my new & improved pool maintenance shelf.

nfJLnNQl.jpg

And this is a picture of the inside of my garbage can...

kvXu2ypl.jpg

Algae Exterminator's Log - Day 010, Entry 001: Sigh. Basically zero color change this morning.

I may or may not have done what a few of the gurus told me not to, and raised the FC to 22.5 last night (that was the final test, after sundown). This morning it was 19, for an overnight loss of only 3.5. CC both last night and this morning was less than 0.5. But, as I said, zero color change. I feel as if I must be doing something wrong. Can anyone think of anything?

The Swamp this morning...

SV26tsYl.jpg

It looks clearer to me. I can see more of the steps than before. It might be the angle of the picture but...............

From now on take the same pic. Standing over the steps, looking down at the steps. Try to have the same distance from the camera and water each time. MAYBE we can watch it get clearer each day.

I do not think you are doing anything wrong. It is going to take time I am sorry to say.

Kim

^^Yeah.

You still have something for the chlorine to chew on if you're losing 3.5 ppm over night. Closer though!

Brush, brush, brush and let the filter do it's thing. You'll be amazed at how fast it clears once it makes up its mind to clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are getting there and that milky color shows that you have a lot of dead algae. Make sure that you are brushing and vacuuming frequently. If you have lights, now is the time to pull those out and clean the light and niche. Check all places in the pool that algae might be hiding.

What you really need is a little POP, Pool Owner Patience, while the filter gets those dead carcasses out of your pool.

Sand filters take longer to clear the finer dead algae particles and some folks have good results by adding a little DE to their filter. Read up here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/133-add-de-to-a-sand-filter

I know we don't like the pucks around here, because they raise CYA, but I have a bucket of "giant-size" 99% trichlor pucks and I am losing a lot of FC to the sun each day. I recently put socks in the skimmer (5 lbs. stabilizer) which in theory, should have raised my CYA to 15.

So, I'm wondering, could I kill two birds with one stone by putting a puck in each skimmer tomorrow morning? My theory being that it will raise my CYA some, and keep FC levels up while I'm at work.

I guess I just don't know exactly how much the pucks raise CYA.

Since you are on the low end of CYA, YES, yes you could use the chlorinating tablets to add FC and CYA. It would be a good way to use them up. That or if you'll be gone for a few days they come in handy too.

I would imagine they aren't all made the same and I think (guess) I read each one raises CYA 6ppm ??? Someone agree, disagree :confused::confused:

- - - Updated - - -

This is a cut and paste from "Chem Geek"

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/21583-Why-How-do-chlorine-tablets-raise-CYA

The following are chemical facts that are independent of concentration of product or of pool size:

For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm.

There is a place at the bottom of the pool calculator where you can plug in what you are using to see the effects.

Excellent, thanks for that. So, the net weight of the bucket is 8 lbs., or 128 oz. There are 16 pucks, so can I assume each one is 8 oz.? If that's the case, according to PoolMath, by putting one in each skimmer, I'll raise CYA by 1.7.

That doesn't really sound right, does it? :confused:

Edit: Actually, reading Richard's post on the thread linked above, it somewhat does sound right, since the pucks will increase FC by 1-3 per day (says that on the bucket). I suspect they'll last 3 days (or I'll remove them by then), so that's maximum 18 FC, for a maximum 12 CYA increase. I can deal with that, since that would bring my CYA to 27.

I think that sounds right. The bigger the pool the less FC and CYA you get from each tab. Normal weight for tabs seems to be 7-8 oz.

I do wonder if I could risk putting 4 pucks in, 2 in each skimmer. Right now, my FC loss in the daytime (Georgia sun) is absolutely crazy, I feel like I need any buffer I can get (especially during a SLAM when I have to be at work all day).

Do not put them in the skimmer. They can/will do a lot of damage to the equipment. Think of what happens when you leave bleach on something metal------rust!

Get a cheap or cute float thingy and put them in there.

I am fixing to have to get some for when we go on my B-day trip. I will be looking for cute ducky!

Kim

Algae Exterminator's Log - Day 011, Entry 001: Another day of very little color change, but some more clarity I think. Overnight FC loss was 1.5 (14.5 yesterday after the sun, 13 today before the sun), so that's good! Based on an idea I had yesterday, I decided to fortify The Swamp's defenses against the sun while I'm at work today by putting two 8 oz. trichlor pucks in my skimmers. I determined that this, over time, will raise my CYA by 12 maximum keeping me still below 30 (around 27). And in the meantime, I might get the luxury of keeping some chlorine in the pool when the sun's out.

Yesterday, for example, my roommate tested the water around noon and there was a loss of about 5 since the morning. When I got home yesterday, not 5 hours later, there was a loss of about 7 since then. Yesterday was HOT.

After work today, I believe my shiny new glycerin filled pressure gauge comes in the mail, so I'm going to stop by Home Depot and pick up some DE to add to my filter. Hoping this will speed up the process a bit. I've had enough POP to deal, but I think my landlord is getting impatient and I'm trying to dissuade him from insisting on putting floc in!

The Swamp today (sounds like a news program):

HQbA7tHl.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Do not put them in the skimmer. They can/will do a lot of damage to the equipment. Think of what happens when you leave bleach on something metal------rust!

Get a cheap or cute float thingy and put them in there.

I actually think I have a floater thing. I will switch them into it when I get home, I didn't see this post this morning. And I was on a mission. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.