Just Discovered TFP, Just Opened Goliath Pool, Just Reconsidered My Life Choices

Algae Exterminator's Log - Day 011, Entry 002: SUPER IMPORTANT QUESTION EDITION

Ok, so I have a challenge for the Gurus.

I just got off the phone with my landlord and he is 100% wanting to put floc in today after work. I advised against it, but he is insistent upon doing everything possible to have the pool swimmable by Saturday, for a party.

I will continue to try to persuade him otherwise, but if he isn't convinced, what's the best way to protect the pool while I have to keep the pump off (24 hours)?

So far, I've thought about:

• Raising FC to double shock level at the beginning of the 24 hour period where the pump must be shut off
  • Temporarily putting the cover back on to protect FC from sunlight
  • Putting the floc in (and subsequently shutting pump off) as close to sunset as possible to allow for maximum time without the sun

I would really, truly love to keep the SLAM pure, but in the event that I can't, I want to interrupt it as little as humanly possible. Thoughts?

Algae Exterminator's Log - Day 011, Entry 002: SUPER IMPORTANT QUESTION EDITION

Ok, so I have a challenge for the Gurus.

I just got off the phone with my landlord and he is 100% wanting to put floc in today after work. I advised against it, but he is insistent upon doing everything possible to have the pool swimmable by Saturday, for a party.

I will continue to try to persuade him otherwise, but if he isn't convinced, what's the best way to protect the pool while I have to keep the pump off (24 hours)?

So far, I've thought about:

• Raising FC to double shock level at the beginning of the 24 hour period where the pump must be shut off
  • Temporarily putting the cover back on to protect FC from sunlight
  • Putting the floc in (and subsequently shutting pump off) as close to sunset as possible to allow for maximum time without the sun

I would really, truly love to keep the SLAM pure, but in the event that I can't, I want to interrupt it as little as humanly possible. Thoughts?

Since your CC is still high, FLOC might have a negative impact. I will let the gurus answer your questions, but I wouldn't risk it. I think you still have algae to kill.

First, if all of the algae isn't dead. The Floc process will set you back and the algae will continue to grow. Your overnight FC loss shows that you are still killing the algae.

For the sake of argument, even if the algae is all dead, floc is not a guarantee. Even if it helps, it won't make the water sparkly. You will have to vac to waste which means, the new water will cause you rebalance everything which costs more money.

As stated before, your best bet is to add DE to your sand filter and only backwash when your pressure rises 25% and not a moment before. Sand filters take the longest to filter the fine particles.

Quick question for any of the experts around. Is the process of adding DE to a sand filter a one-time addition, or does it need to be a routine, say, once a day?

I got my new pressure gauge in and followed the instructions. I got to 1 cup of DE when the pressure was resting (right after backwash) at 1 psi higher than initial reading. That was crazy to see a 5 minute backwash look through the indicator glass like an 8 hour backwash with just sand!

Man oh man the sun is taking out my FC so fast! I can barely keep up. :crazy:

About an hour ago, I measured my FC at 9.5, so I put in 2 jugs of bleach to give it a buffer from the nuclear death rays in the sky. Just tested again, and down to 10 again already. What on earth.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For CYA:

Try to put your sock at the return jet, so it can dissolve a little faster. I find it more effective than going to squeeze it every so often.

I usually let it soak in the sock over night, then move it to the return jet.

Do not put them in the skimmer. They can/will do a lot of damage to the equipment. Think of what happens when you leave bleach on something metal------rust!

Get a cheap or cute float thingy and put them in there.

I am fixing to have to get some for when we go on my B-day trip. I will be looking for cute ducky!

Kim

Have to agree with this. DO NOT put them in a skimmer!

Now that the CYA has dissolved, you need to assume that the 2.5 lbs of CYA is there when you target your FC. It is there and working, but it won't show up on the CYA test for a week. Don't bother testing your CYA because you will only waste your testing supplies.

Algae Exterminator's Log - Day 012, Entry 001: Good color this morning, 2 FC loss overnight.

I'm going to have to put floc in tonight, unless the landlord has an uncharacteristic change of mind on the matter. It's making me very nervous, but here's what I intend to do.

• Fortify chlorine at around 6:00PM, when the sun is still up, but not hitting the pool
  • Put floc in at 7:00PM
  • Test chlorine and add if necessary at 7:30PM (target FC 20-25)
  • Shut pump off at 9:00PM
  • Vacuum at 9:00AM tomorrow
  • If floc hasn't sunk debris by that time, put cover on the pool until it has (sun protection)
  • After vacuum, test chlorine and raise to 20-25 again

Hopefully I won't lose too much progress. :eek:

The Swamp this morning, looking less like a swamp:

4EPGHzzl.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.