Just can't get clear

May 29, 2018
Conway, AR
Unfortunately I dont have any before pictures but my pool was super green. I've been SLAM'ing for 3 weeks now and I've been passing OCLT for 9 days now. However, the pool is still cloudy. It's a nice blue but definitely not clear. Should I be backwashing every day? I have not been. Yes I've read the SLAM page (this is my 3rd SLAM and the first two were successful with the first one coming from a worse starting point than this one). I have been using my dolphin every day multiple times per day once the water turned blue. I just don't remember it taking this long after I started passing the OCLT before.

Sand filters are notoriously painful at clearing a swamp. You just have to have POP (Pool Owner Patience). Do you have any pictures and more importantly, any test results?

It sounds like it's just a matter of filtration.

Have you considered adding DE to your filter? It's like setting window screen atop chicken wire, just on a microscopic scale. On that note....did you know that slightly dirty sand filters filter better than freshly-cleaned ones?Your frequent backwashing may actually be slowing you down! If you choose to add DE (Or cellulose DE replacement) ask the neighbors, or flag down a pool service truck. You don't need a ten or twenty five pound bag -- a few cups' worth is enough. And it has to be pool DE. The smaller bags of garden DE are not the same.

Also, try to improve the circulation. Point a return down low to keep things stirred up in the deep so more stuff finds its way to the skimmer. Maybe leave the vacuum down there but sideways or upside down so it pulls from the deep.

I use Liquid Chlorine exclusively until Monday morning since I was going out of town and put a couple of Tricholor tabs in the skimmer to help keep the levels up while I was gone for 28 hours. I haven't been checking it since I thought I read on here it wasn't a big deal. The last time I checked it was 14 days ago and it was 80.

I use Liquid Chlorine exclusively until Monday morning since I was going out of town and put a couple of Tricholor tabs in the skimmer to help keep the levels up while I was gone for 28 hours. I haven't been checking it since I thought I read on here it wasn't a big deal. The last time I checked it was 14 days ago and it was 80.
High calcium levels have been occasionally found to contribute to cloudiness in vinyl pools that won't clear, hence the question :)

I can tell you this, if you haven’t cleaned out all organic material, or are not testing 4-6 times a day and keeping the chlorine @ 40% of your cya consistently then you can keep a green pool green all summer. I suggest your chlorine levels are not high enough or you might not even have any cya present. It needs to be above 30 or the sun effectively bleaches it out of the water.

A green pool, with all organic material removed can be cleared in a week easy. It’s requires following the slam guidelines to a T, backwashing very regularly and brushing the walls and or niches.

Reactions: Casey and splashpad
Appreciate all info. Just want to reiterate that I have done SLAM successfully 2 other times (no winter cover and neighbor's leaves love my pool). I check it probably 4 to 6 times a day. My CYA is at 40 and I'm slamming to maintain a FC of 16.

There is no major organic materials....maybe a few leaves got in since the last time I ran the dolphin since it is raining on and off today. It's not green just cloudy.

Just checked chlorine levels 10 minutes ago:

FC : 13.5 and CC: 0.5

Added the suggested amount as I use the Pool Math from Troublefree Pool religiously.

Thanks for the info about the calcium hardness. I'll give it another check and report back after next check.

It's probably just a matter of time but 9 days passing OCLT every night and not fully clear was just disturbing to me so I thought I would post.

Reactions: splashpad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunately I dont have any before pictures but my pool was super green. I've been SLAM'ing for 3 weeks now and I've been passing OCLT for 9 days now. However, the pool is still cloudy. It's a nice blue but definitely not clear. Should I be backwashing every day? I have not been. Yes I've read the SLAM page (this is my 3rd SLAM and the first two were successful with the first one coming from a worse starting point than this one). I have been using my dolphin every day multiple times per day once the water turned blue. I just don't remember it taking this long after I started passing the OCLT before.
I'm on day 5 of SLAMing. Is your pool still cloudy? I'm following this because I'm in the same boat as you.

My pool finally cleared up on Saturday. I've called SLAM done. With a sand filter it takes a long time.

Thank you for the update. And to summarize, the OP's SLAM lasted about 3 1/2 weeks. With the OCLT being passed each of the last 12 days or so, but water still cloudy but no green. This with a sand filter, which are the slowest for clearing an algae pool.

One question just for curiosity, did you end up adding any DE to the sand filter? Sometimes that can aid a sand filter to filter down to a finer level.

Great job maintaining POP!

Reactions: callred
Not to steal the subject but, back wash or not? It makes sense that too frequent back wash may not be good for filtration but, isn't the goal to get the algae out of the pool? I've been told you can't backwash too much and too much backwashing is not good???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.