Just bought a home w/pool

Tested pH and it was colored slightly lighter than 7.0 so added sodium carbonate to adjust to 7.2

Started SLAM with LC addition. Pretty sure the neighbors houses will be clean from the smell of bleach in the air!!! ?

FC = 21
Added LC back to SLAM level and brushed the pool again. Water is clearing as we can now see the brush resting on the bottom on the shallow end. Sorry for the reflection of clouds, but progress is evident and we're excited.8-28-1640-stairs.jpg

Last edited:
Flow was pretty minimal after filtering the past 3 days and vacuuming this afternoon, so did a backwash in preparation for the evening test. Tested at 7:30 and FC = 23.5. Pretty small chlorine addition. Still not clear, but it’s looking MUCH MUCH better.

We can see the light on the wall in the deep end. We have a light switch that we do not know what it goes to. It’s beside the pool deck lights, so we’re guessing it is the pool light and it’s in need of changing. Any advice on where to read about in-pool lights while we’re waiting on the SLAM process?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are so many different types of pool lights. Look at these videos...

Tested around 11 last night and FC = 24. No additions were made.

We can see the bottom in the shallow end of the pool this morning. The deep end is still unviewable, but progress is definitely being made!

Question time. I ordered more reagent (R-0871), but COVID is killing shipping times. My order will not be here until next week. I'm down to what appears to be enough reagent for one more test. Do I test this morning and just wing it until the reagent comes in? Do I continue to add the same minimal amount in hopes that it keeps FC at 24 until it all goes clear and I can test CC? What is the recommendation (other than buy the larger test kit originally)?

Average what you used yesterday and today (until you are out of reagents) and then add that spread out during the day.

I would not go swimming during that time as you will be unsure what level the FC is. Should not go sky high, but be aware.

Are you ordering from TFTestkits.net?

We really wanted to, but when Rebecca shared that express shipping can't be guaranteed, we had to look elsewhere. :(

Since our reagent won't be in until next week, I took a work break and we made a run to the closest pool supply that sold Taylor kits/reagents (an hour away). They had the reagent in stock and on the shelf. We'll see where we're at and keep it adjusted until everything clears up, we can test CC at .5 or less, and we can pass the OCLT. We can see fine material that needs to be vacuumed now. I believe we're in the patience phase.

Been testing and doing maintenance the past couple of days. Last night we knew we were close as the pool was only slightly cloudy on the deep end and we had only needed to add chlorine once during the day.

This morning the pool is crystal clear. FC was still 24 last night at 9:45 and it was 23.5 this morning. Did a CC test and .5 was the result.

To our knowledge, that passes all three criteria for the SLAM. Do we just wait for the FC to fall back to normal level as per the CYA/FC chart? If so, is that normally a couple of days of waiting?

When we’re back to normal, we assume we’ll need to retest all levels and balance according to PoolMath. Is there anything wrong with our thought process on this?

Thanks for all the help thus far. We are another happy family from the results of TFP and the knowledgeable members that are patient and willing to share!!!
F48ABA98-0F64-47A6-A6CD-C57332D64FE0.jpeg
E6B06815-EBD9-4DC8-B606-AC1B4D3F4FCF.jpeg

Last edited:
You got it! Looks wonderful -- great job!

FC will drop to 7-9 ppm by tomorrow or the next day most likely. Keep your FC in that range with your CYA of 60.

Reactions: ChuzUThisDay
All you ---------
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP.
We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.
Support TFP!

Reactions: Liz107
We've watched the FC drop the past two days. When checking this morning, it tested at 8 so our son is some kind of excited. Our pool is another good example of what happens when following the TFP method of pool care. Who knows what we would have been told to put in the pool by the local pool store or the maintenance guy if he'd actually shown up to open our pool. If we can do this, anyone can.