Just bought a home w/pool

I'm on a meeting with work for a while and it's started raining again. Hopefully, the rain and meeting will break at similar times and I can get some LC in the pool then start the 15 minutes testing cycle

No. Hopefully all the CYA has not been consumed, or you will have a huge amount of chlorine to go through.
I have only tested it with the cheap test strips, as it appeared to be 0. I dissolved 8lbs in socks on Monday, trying to get to 30. Do I assume a CYA of 30 in poolmath to calculate LC to reach the 10ppm of FC?

You can not do anything until you get your proper test kit. No reason to waste your time or chemicals.

OK -- what CYA you have has no bearing on how much liquid chlorine you need to add to get to 10 ppm FC.

It impacts what range of FC is needed for maintenance or SLAM. But you are just doing a sledgehammer effect on potential ammonia.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Test 2
FC = 5 so added 1.5 gallons of LC. Test 3 on the way...

Also had my better half go buy more LC as our 14 gallons is depleting fast. With the SLAM ahead, we will need more and don't want to run out at a crucial moment.

Buying a home from out of state owners, who hired a local pool company to close the pool for winter, and use a winter cover that should have been replaced at least 5 years ago has turned into a major learning experience!

Last edited:
After your next test, if still 5 or below, brush the pool well and then test again. Want to be sure things are mixed up well.

Reactions: ChuzUThisDay

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support