Tulsa, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I just found TFP yesterday and have scoured the forums for information (and courage) in order to jump away from my dependence on a pool service that has been expensive and less than satisfactory (that’s being kind). Part of my reluctance to go it alone has been the worry that if something really goes wrong, I’d like to be able to call a pro to fix the big stuff. However, I have found a local repair shop that has a good reputation for responding to any pool emergency and I think you’ve managed to convince me that I can handle the water chemistry puzzle. I look forward to learning more as I go and can’t wait to get my test kit (and fire the pool service) next week.

This is my second residential pool. The first was a salt water cell set-up. I learned a few things with that pool but primarily relied on a very responsive yet expensive pool service for all maintenance. My current pool is on a cartridge filter. The pool company recently let my regular pool guy go. I was never really happy with him (double charges for chemicals, inadvertent charges for new pool brushes and cartridges that were never delivered, filter cleaning charges without actually cleaning the filter...fun stuff) but the water condition was excellent for two years. The new guy has been here for two weeks and the water is a cloudy, mucky mess.

So, I’m open to any suggestions or tips as I figure this whole thing out. I have a large bucket of 3” chlorine pucks and a smaller bucket of Super Shockwave left but would like to get away from that stuff at some point. Once I have my test kit, I think I will be ready to tackle the water. My biggest hurdle right now is trying to figure out the pool/pump configuration. I’d like to get everything labeled and with four pumps, two sanitizers, a heater and a few other pieces of equipment I can’t identify, I’m a little stuck. I’ll take some photos and hope one of you can identify the mystery pieces of equipment.

.F8AA4AF0-FAB0-42DB-920C-3EABE9A025BE.jpegC076376F-5CAE-4E7C-A811-F45C22BCF1F9.jpeg

Welcome to the forum!
While waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine each evening to the pool with the pump running.
Remove any tablets, etc.
Please post you your test results in Just Getting Started. Any equipment issues please post in the appropriate forum.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.